We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

The old Pineapple Hill restaurant opened in 1964 and was located at the historic plantation home of the late D.T. Fleming. In the mid 70's it was a very popular place for dinner. I was located at the top of Simpson Road, it closed in the mid to late 90's I think and was sadly torn down after that. If you go up there now, you can still see part of the gate that was in front of the property.

Flemings Restaurant was never on that site, it was located in the Club House at the Kapalua Golf Academey and was closed in the late 90's and is now the activity centre.

You may recall the famous Sunday Brunch at the Kapalua Bay Hotel, and the grand dining room that was at the Ritz Carlton when it first opened, now the much more casual Terrace Restaurant.

The Pineapple Grill used to be Jamisons, located at the Club House on the Bay Golf Course.

It was a crime in my opinion that the Kapalua Bay Hotel was allowed to be torn down. It was beautifully designed and one of a kind. We have many old photo's taken from 1982 onwards with what we referred to as our Hawaii Gang and after Sunday brunch, a once a year event, we always went out out onto the rocks in the ocean below the hotel and had our pictures taken.

There was no Coconut Grove in front of Kapalua Bay in those days.

I do remember the Bay Club, now Merrimans, and we walked up there and took pictures when it was abandoned and closed. There was a pool where the outdoor patio is now at Merrimans.

Many fond memories over the 37 years that I have been coming to Maui, and we continue to come every year.

Mentioned in this post
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
3,651 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Terrace Restaurant
The Terrace Restaurant
274 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

We've had several threads about the Bay Hotel and Pineapple Hill over the years-fun to see someone else who remembers the old days!

Pineapple Hill closed in 1996 for the last time; it had closed a couple of other times but had been re-opened. The owners had problems with taxes. Maui Land and Pine allowed the house to deteriorate to the point it was unsafe and termite ridden, which was awful. It was a lovely place in its day.

Fleming's was replaced by Vino for a while, which also folded. That is a huge space and it just couldn't make the kala necessary to survive.

The old Bay Club was a family fav of ours for many, many years...........though my father hated that he had to wear a coat and tie there (and at the Hotel dining room). He cursed Rockefeller for years for that!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

Thanks so much for sharing that history Suzanne. Boy I sure wish I had been able to come in those days. If you ever feel like sharing a few pictures with us I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see them :)

And even if that's not possible I hope you'll stick around and share your perspective on the forum,

Dave

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

I remember them building the kapalua Bay Hotel. I saw it from the beach.

Then I stayed in it two weeks before it closed. It was immaculate, The brass was polished. A builder said they could never get these kind of materials again and yet it was being torn down.

The shops and restaurants that had a breezeway to the hotel were also torn down. Tory Richards, South Seas Trading Post, the logo shop, Haimoff and Haimoof, , La Pearle, galleries, real estate offices and restaurants. There was a little hula show and some activities in the shopping area. Nice friendly merchants.. Most featured the iconic Kapalua butterfly logo items. The underground parking kept you dry when you parked.

Pineapple Hill restaurant was in Maui Land Pines David Flemings company owned home. He was very innovative with crops like vanilla. His son owned the Blue Shoreline bus service . The restaurant paid rent but M L & P never kept it maintained. The climate does wear things our. We do not have many old houses in West Maui and it should have been maintained and repurposed.

The whole area is now under utilized and even the Honolua General Store is being redesigned and now operated by the ABC chain.

Gone is the old Grill and Bar which my family insisted on calling the Gorilla Bar.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

Oh, these old stories are so much fun! Thank you Suzanne, SW and jimgloria for sharing your memories with us!

I am imagining 20 or 30 years from now when we will all be here on TA reminiscing about our old Maui favorites from back in the "teens". And we will certainly include our TA friendships. No one will forget that big guy in the pink speedo with a heart of gold over at the Hana, Maui filling station!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

Don't tell me that ABC is changing the Honolua General Store!! What are they doing to it?

Socal
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

The first time we went to Hawaii, we spent a few nights at the Mauna Kea Beach hotel, also a Rock Resort. I couldn't believe we had to wear a jacket to dinner in the tropics! Boy, I despised that, especially as I had a sunburn at the time and it was uncomfortable.

Sheldon

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

Great post & trip down memory lane, Suzanne. I too have multiple photo albums filled with "pre-explosion" pics from all over the island beginning in the late 70's, including many from diverse spots all over my favorite area up north known as Kapalua.

I recall my first encounter in Kapalua with an affable Persian gentleman named Paris Nabavi, who came to the island from Texas to head the food and beverage operations of the Kapalua Bay Hotel. Paris decided to launch his own venture about 15-years ago with Pizza Paradiso in Honokowai, & then opened Cilantro in Lahaina & also teaches cooking & does a load of catering for a diverse number of businesses on island including The Teralani Sailing Adventures. While I'm fan of his Pizzas, Italian & Persian cuisine (not so much his take on Mexican food,) I am biggest proponent of his volunteer work with Maui county schools & the Maui food bank, which serves ~10,000 people monthly, and will distribute over 1.5 million pounds of food to the hungry this year!

Sorry to get off track, but I think the MFB, with 96% of donated funds going directly to the needy & their ability to convert each donated dollar to six-pounds of non-perishable food, is one of the most efficiently run & worthy charities on island..

Rex, yes...as I replied to your post about the Honolua Store in the "cheapest eats" thread- ABC has made many changes at the store -- IMO, the food quality, quantity & overall viability has definitely digressed since the management switch; they closed the original store for renovations & space reorganization, but opened a temporary 'ad hoc' repository (no alcohol, more limited food menu..) down at the Village Center. Will be interesting to see what the 'end product' will be like once the original building is completed.

Alo)(a, NKO

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

Thanks MNO...any mention of a Food Bank warms my heart. Our donations have been way down at our little, local FB. I am tasked with writing the yearly "please give" letter tomorrow to all the businesses in town. You have giving me a direction with our local resaturants.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

Anytime, mama -- happy to elicit some positive motivation! :) You know the only "character" with a higher propensity for taking a thread from Kaupo or Kahkuloa to MARS, Neptune or some other random location in the solar system is our Pink bikinied Pal from that lonely Chevron station near Kaihalulu Bay.. ; )

Mentioned in this post
Kaupo
Kaupo
Maui, HI
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pineapple Hill & Kapalua

MauiN0KaOi The ABC stores did some reorganizing when they first bought the Honolua Store and didn't change too much. So I'm hopeful these renovations will not involve changes to the historic look of the exterior, and just fix up what was a very strange interior layout with the store in front that middle section then a narrow area that opened up to the food area in the back.

Also, I'm thinking maybe nostalgia for the construction days is affecting your assessment of the food. I loved that you could get a hot lunch for such a reasonable price, but the food was not good at all I didn't think. I tried a couple times and gave up. And the food they recently started selling at the Honokowai ABC store is quite good and so give them a chance, you might like it :)

Dave

Get answers to your questions about Kapalua