We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
76 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

I read that there is a swap meet in Kahului on Sat's? Is this the place to go for t-shirts and general souvenirs? We went to an open air market on a Wed. once while on Oahu and it was really great. Is this the only one on the island?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

No, it isn't the only one, but the biggest. It's on Saturday, and it costs 50 cents to get in. Get there early if you want the pick of the veggies and fruits. Do check carefully for the "Made in China" tags. They are out there.

Take water if you are not there first thing in the morning, as it does get hot as well.

Another option for souvenirs up in West Maui is Binky's. She supports local artists, and it is full of jewelry, art work, and even yarn!

When in Lahaina, do make sure you get down to the Banyan tree, by the courthouse. They often have tables set up there as well.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

The Swap Meet is not exactly like the one on Oahu the one on Maui has more hand crafted items like Jewelry, ceramics,art etc. there is also a farmers market and food booths. Great Tees at 808 Clothing Company booth love their stuff 2/$20 but good quality.

The Maui one has better quality stuff than the one on Oahu. 7am-1pm every Saturday.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

And Jeff's jams and jellies!!! Grab some of the BBQ rub, or the coffee rub for your steaks back at the condo. Or at home!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
76 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

Great--thanks!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

Yes to the Swap Meet - we go every Saturday when we are there.

As someone else said - watch for the Made in (anywhere but Hawaii) stickers.

You can get everything from food, to jewelry, to ceramics, to t-shirts to handcrafted items.

I have some great swap meet finds

Mundelein, IL
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

It was so wet today that they had it set up in the Parking lot instead of the regular location. Obviously this made parking more difficult. Luckily we went our first Saturday and today was just for getting a few flowers.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

The swap meet is privately owned and operated for over 30 years. Every Saturday by the Maui Arts and Cultural Center in Kahului.

Great variety of vendors.

Imports , hand made gifts, souvenirs, food, veggies and flowers. This is a sold out venue

that has an assortment of vendors. This is not a juried event so use your own judgement for the

honesty of the vendor. The low rent attracts some doozies.

The Banyan Tree in Lahaina is used by 4 different groups of vendors. This happens 3 out of 4 weekends (as scheduled by the County of Maui) per month.

It is a variety of vendors and again use your judgement as to the source of the merchandise.

Iowa
Level Contributor
32 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

If you don't get to the Kahului Swap Meet on Saturday and are staying in West Maui, there is a craft show at the Civic Center in Lahaina on Sundays as well. It is not as big as the other, but still fun to poke around and there is good variety.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

The Sunday gift shows at the Lahaina Civic Center is not held every Sunday.

The County of Maui schedules the dates it available for rent by 4 different groups that "win" dates in a lottery.

The dates are sporadic and their are none in November.

Check the schedule with Maui Exposition .

There are no pattern to the dates for the Sunday gift show at the Civic Center and it is limited to 70 vendors.

There are gift shows approximately 30 Sundays per year.

Not held every Sunday but late Thursday they are allowed to put a sign on Hwy 30 that says "Gift show this Sunday". Held from 9 to 4pm

10. Re: Sorry--I forgot one--swap meet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:16