We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

4 posts
Save Topic
Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

I am planning to go for my honeymoon in Dec this year and finalized with these two resorts as they are under my budget. Need some opinion and comparison please..........

about me

- Planning to stay 2 nights in JWV and 3 nights in BV.

- planning to do scuba

As far as i know -

- they both are owned by same company

- meeru has no reef and villa wins in that category

What about?

- privacy and less people

- resort

- scuba diving and water sports

- snorkeling for beginners (not a good swimmer)

- food and drinks

14 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

It's no contest. Vilamendhoo has easy snorkeling on a great house reef. Vilamendhoo is also in the South Ari atoll perfect for diving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

Vila has an adults section as well (not sure about Meeru), nice if on honeymoon.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

It has to be Vila if you want to snorkel on a house reef just off the beach. Meeru does not have a house reef just off the island and they offer snorkelling boat trips to deep water, which will not be suitable for weak swimmers. Check out the Top question list on the main page entitled "What do we need for snorkelling? Snorkelling safety issues?" for things to consider if you are a weak swimmer.

Edited: 25 August 2017, 20:20
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

thank you guys for the input. I have booked Vilamendhoo for now.

I am still wondering why Meeru has such high rating on expedia and other sites.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

Hi

Large islands are always promoted by big travel companies. I suppose it's a way of justifying those glossy magazines and fancy internet pages. Why would they promote an island with hardly any availability. Villamendhoo also gets in the brochures. The advice given on here are by real travellers with nothing to gain from advice given. Both islands have the same owner's so offer a similar set up but IMO villamendhoo is better because it's not too big, is in the SAA and has a great house reef.

I think you have made the best chance...

Darryl .

Hertfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

<<I am still wondering why Meeru has such high rating on expedia and other sites>>

If you went to Meeru and had no knowledge of any other resorts in the Maldives then I'm sure that you would have a great holiday, and I personally know someone that went there on honeymoon and absolutely loved it. The Maldives is an amazing holiday destination and the beaches, ocean, and views are fantastic, and even the worst Maldives resorts will be better in those regards to most other destinations in the world. If you are not interested in snorkelling (which I imagine probably 50% of guests are not) then Meeru's main negative point (no house reef) will not matter at all, and if you are someone that only wants to snorkel once or twice during your holiday then the free boat trips out to the nearby reef will probably suffice.

In fact, if you ignore the house reef entirely then there will likely be very few differences between Vilamendhoo and Meeru, as they are both 4 star resorts, are both owned by the same company, and both have identical set-ups in terms of restaurants and AI packages.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

I am still wondering why Meeru has such a bad opinion on trip advisor forum. I have been there 5 years ago and just booked another visit for next year. Absolutely amazing resort- beautiful wide beach, amazing food and service, such wonderful villas, lots of marina life (colourful fishes, sharks, stings rays) and beautiful reef accessible through boat 10 minutes away from Meeru. I am sure there are other resorts with amazing reefs but what i saw in Meeru was still very satisfactory. Amazing value for money. I wanted to go to Antigua and 4 star resort there was much more expensive than Meeru (I am based in UK). Besides our friends spent much more money on some other Maldives island (I completely forgot the name) and for me it looked ugly (seawall all around, not much sand beach, snorkelling better than Meeru but not wow factor).

Also you mentioned that you look for privacy- Meeru is bigger but I heard that Vila has lots of villas in small area and can cause overpopulations.

I hope you will be happy from your choice.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

AnnaK23_28 - The main down side of Meeru is that it does not have a house reef which is accessible from the beach. This is important to those who wish to snorkel at their leisure when they feel like it. Obviously this is not important to all visitors.

The other detracting feature for some is that the island is too large. It is not the quintessential tiny "speck of sand" Maldives island. But, again, some visitors actually strive to find the biggest Resort islands.

Edited: 28 December 2017, 19:43
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

Been to Meeru three times, used the unofficial Meeru discussion forum for advice Meeru.co.uk. You will find from the reports on this site that many of the repeaters to Meeru have also tried Villamendhoo and loved it because of the access to the reef, they say it's a mini Meeru. I am sure you will have a fabulous holiday.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,285 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??

i am not making the connection between beginner snorkeler / weak swimmer and scuba . should i presume this is two different people ?

Reply to: Meeru or Vilamendhoo ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo
Recent Conversations