We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surcharges

middlesex
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Surcharges

as this island is all-inclusive would anyone know if we were to up grade to water bungalow when there, do they slap 13% surcharge on top of the asking price........

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surcharges

Hi

Their website room prices include $8 bed tax and GST at 6%. I don't believe you pay 10% Service Charge on rooms.

So if you upgraded to a WV I would expect that you would only pay the quoted upgrade price without any additions.

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surcharges

Hi

As OD says, pretty sure the GST element will already be included in the quoted price (note it's currently 6% not 3.5% and goes up to 8% next January).

Also, just to clarify - the island as a whole isn't AI, it's an optional extra. However, I think it's becoming one of those First Choice exclusive islands at some point in which case the only booking option from the UK will be AI. Guests from other countries won't have this restriction. I think I'm right in saying that guests on AI are required to wear wrist bands. Hopefully someone who has recently returned will be able to confirm whether this is still the case or not.

SL

Edited: 30 June 2012, 14:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surcharges

Just to add - can't see any mention of the room rate attracting 10% service charge on the Vila website, but interestingly, I've just been checking out a different island and they state that a service charge of 10% WILL be added to the published room rate. Possibly it varies island to island, but worth emailing Vila to clarify the situation.

SL

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Surcharges

Hi Sunlover

You are correct - as from 1st November the island becomes monopolised for UK holidaymakers - thankfully the rest of the world will still have freedom of choice :-)

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surcharges

Hi Richard

Are you saying that Vilamendhoo is going to become a UK-guests-only island? This is a bit different to it becoming exclusive to a single UK travel operator. The former completely excludes non-UK nationals. The latter only excludes other UK tour operators.

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surcharges

I think richard is saying its one operator for uk citizens, so possibly a bit like the issue with the website:))

I do wonder though, I live in Brussels, but am a British passport holder. I wonder if I could book through a travel agent here ie so it's exclusive to one uk travel agent, as opposed to Brits globally only allowed to book through the one uk agent,,,

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Surcharges

Hello

Sorry I was not clear in my first message.

The deciding factor is nationality of passport. If you hold a UK passport (no matter where you live) you are now forced to book with just 1 UK operator.

If you hold a passport from a different country then you are still able to pick and choose your favourite/normal/cheapest operator.

Thanks

Richard

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surcharges

Richard - I'm not contradicting you, but how do they manage to enforce such a limitation? Given the advent of the internet, and access to a variety of worldwide businesses, what is to stop me booking via a foreign operator instead of a UK one? Just curious really (plus I do not like monopolies, specially if they involve Thomson, which First Choice is these days)

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Surcharges

Hello

Monopolies are also a bugbear of mine.

When you check in they will take details from your passport. If it is from a restricted market then they will add the additional cost onto your room bill.

Thanks

Richard

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surcharges

Hi Richard

You say: "If it is from a restricted market then they will add the additional cost onto your room bill."

If you don't mind me asking - what additional cost? Is this the higher charge that UK guests have to pay because of the tour operator monopoly?

OD

Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo