We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading in resort

3 posts
Save Topic
Upgrading in resort

We are off to vilamendhoo for our two week honeymoon in May 2013. We currently have a beach villa and that has stretched the finances enough already. I would love to upgrade to a JWV for the last week but dont want to pay the £600 to £700 it will cost through the travel agent. Does anyone have any experience of what it costs to upgrade whilst in the resort. Would it save much, if anything? Is there likely to be spare capacity for JWVs in May? Very grateful for any responses. Thanks.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrading in resort

I dont know about Vilamendhoo - but at Iru it turned out to be more expensive to do it at the resort

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrading in resort

We have done the same upgrade as you are looking at .we had to upgrade direct with vilamendhoo due to our agent not having availability ! It cost us £150 per room per night payable on check in .

Darryl

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrading in resort

Also there me be no availability? We booked a garden room but couldn't upgrade as the island was at full capacity and overstretched, and some people were even transferred to another island due to over booking.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrading in resort

We were there in July 2011 and upgraded from a deluxe beach villa to a water villa and we were charged $500 for 7 nights. At the time the island was at about 60% occupancy. The following week it was full so we were lucky.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrading in resort

Hello Bluejim76

Generally it will be much cheaper to upgrade with your agent before (or even during ) your holiday.

The islands rely on agents to provide around 85% of their bookings - and there would be an uproar if they started selling rooms/upgrades cheaper than the 'hand that feeds them'.

On the other hand - I have also heard of some excellent in resort upgrade offers on islands (Hilton owned generally) - but this is obviously dependent on there being plenty of rooms available.

My personal advice is - if there is a room type you need to make your holiday extra special (and without which you would be disappointed) then book it and stump up the cash before leaving home.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrading in resort

Thanks for the replies. Called First Choice and they wont upgrade for part of the holiday anyway so I'll have to take my chances out there. It's not like 2 weeks in the maldives in a beach villa is a bad fall back position!

Norfolk
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrading in resort

Hi bluejim76

We are returning to Vila next week, we spent 2 weeks there last year in a Beach Villa and I can assure you they are really lovely. We've stayed in Ocean Villas previously elsewhere, upgrading whilst in resort. They are the height of luxury , at a cost, but personally we still prefer to open the door of the villa each morning and be able to walk the few sandy steps into the ocean. Also the money we save enables us to return more frequently to paradise.

Each to their own. The only accommodation I would not wish to be in are the Garden Villas because they are set further into the island with no or little seaview but still furnished nicely.

Enjoy whichever villas you end up with, it's wonderful!

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
561 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrading in resort

We were there in September 2011 and due to the regular overbooking we were upgraded free of charge for four nights from a JBV to a JWV. Having got a liking for our JWV we asked how much it was to upgrade for the remaining 10 nights and we were quoted approx $70 per night. At the time they apologised that they couldn't do it any cheaper? However we thought it was reasonable compared to brochure prices.

Edited: 21 November 2012, 21:08
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrading in resort

So in real money its about £46.00 a night....

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrading in resort

Hi

Got back 3 weeks ago ,did the upgrade direct with the island at the cost I mentioned .

As bluejim say the BVs are realy nice ,I also agree with Jim regarding his comments about preferring a beach front location .

Would I upgrade from a BV to a JWV at that cost again ,,,no .

I have commented on our upgrade in our review ;-)

Enjoy vilamendhoo,,lucky you !

Darryl

Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo