We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilamendhoo how it used to be

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Vilamendhoo how it used to be

If anybody is interested I went to Vilamendhoo in 2004, It was the best holiday I had, unfortunately I took very few pictures, as I brought a video camera, in those days poor quality. However, I put a review of the place using snapshots of the video and the odd picture.

I saw some amazing things there, also I walked around the island with the video. I understand water bungalows have been built since but not sure where, obviously the other accommodation would have changed but it does give you an idea of the island itself, Sorry again for the poor quality

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

Our first Maldives trip was in March 2004 to Vila so your pics brought back a lot of memories. Glas to say I didn't spot us on any of the pics!

Thanks for the memories. We loved Vila but would not go back now that they've messed with it ... we couldn't afford to!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

same here. I recall the truly cheesy interior of the sunset bar, just how the Maldives should be

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

aaahhh ... actually , i remember vila a good bit before this .. back when it was an awesome diver's island. the days before spas and lavish buffets and winelists .

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

why oh why, doesn't someone in control pay attention to customer needs, look how popular Biya' always is, good reef good atmosphere.

Surely a new Island with just that , and no expense on, underwater discos ,aerobic instuctors, sommeliers that are qualified colonic irrigationists !! , poncey coffee that you need a degree in caffeine studies to comprehend , etc.... would repay the minimal outlay with mega bookings ??

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

I remember seeing a sea of blue fish, thousands, as far as you could see over the top of the reef

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

Thing is BB, I don't honestly believe the 'majority' of visitors do want that rustic and natural experience. Yes, there are quite a few on the forum that do but not enough to fill and island, or even keep it going over a period of 3 months. There are some more basic islands out there still but even they are rarely, if ever, fully booked.

I'd do basic/rustic for a week but after that I would like a few home comforts ;-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

still think its worth a shot, many , especially hard core divers, would want that, especially if the price differential was very noticeable, but I hear what you say, wish I were right though :)

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

Vila was FAR better in our opinion before the refurb.

Delboy.....remember that huge bit of sand with tables and chairs and the sunset bar where people gathered to watch the sunset......thats where the infinity pool now is and the water villas extend towards the sunset.

The other end of the island/ Rooms 30/31 I think were the two most secluded on the island......walkway to the Asian Wok restaurant built right in the middle of it.

Actually, I should have watched the video first.....it's probably all on there!!!

John

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

Oh yes.......and the best table decorations ever seen.

John

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vilamendhoo how it used to be

Hi suffolk-john

That sand area was great, so they have taken the bungalows out into the water from there, a shame that was where those rays came in, if they needed water bungalows at all, on the rocky bit down the far end would have been better but I suppose it would have cost them more to drive the poles in

Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo