We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Sheffield
Level Contributor
206 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Hi all,

Über excited now as we only have 7 days to go until we fly out! We're more excited about Vila than our wedding the day before.

Wherever we go we take little thank you for waiting staff/room cleaners etc and its always been really appreciated.

What are good things I take in the Maldives?

When we go to Jamaica we always take lots of paracetamol as its expensive over there...

Thanks in advance xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Normally staff prefer tips, usd is best. I personally feel gifts /items are best if you know the people involved ie on a return visit, however a box of chocolates left at reception or a football shirt I understand goes down well, if it's not instead of tipping. I'm not sure giving them pain killers is going to be overly appreciated, but get your sentiment.

It's a hugely personal thing and very subjective in terms of what you are comfortable doing. Personally I'm not comfortable giving gifts/items to strangers, and prefer to tip only to say thank you, but others are different.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,346 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Many of the staff come from all over India/Sri Lanka etc as well as the locals. So usually money is key as they get very little holiday and need to fly home.

Perhaps hop over to a local island and buy something.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Cash is king ;-) usd

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

the staff has families at home to support . the young ones usually support their parents and grandparents if they don't have children already . pain meds only do them any good to help their headache over not having enough money .

Fiji
Level Contributor
502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Good evening and welcome to the forum,

If you would like to do something for the greater Maldives. Find out of your resort supports any of the local orphanages. There is an orphanage on Villingili that has approximately 58 children between 1-12 years and they are always happy to accept nappies, children toys, washing liquids, books and clothing.

Just an idea

Jason

Sheffield
Level Contributor
206 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Always get a frosty response to these threads. We always tip well and will continue to do so this was just in addition for any ideas people may have.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Im sorry, i genuinely don't understand, I don't see anything " frosty " ?

You have just been given accurate responses on what the staff prefer, and also a couple of ideas on what else to do ie chocolates, sports wear, local island shopping, local orphanage etc? We really can't say they would want parecetemol or something similar if we don't think they do.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

sorry zip... painkillers is just not a bright idea in my point of view . if you disagree - more power to you . in my way of thinking , the staff tends to prefer educating their children, supporting their parents and save for their future over hording painmeds incase of a headache . messing with someone's health is in my opinion ill advised to dangerous .. the drugs have an expiration date and it doesn't feed the staffs children . not in the maldives and not in jamaica.

i have many times brought toys to staff i know that have small kids but that is a personal gift and you obviously don't yet have friends there . i also bring chocolate and gummibears. the staff likes nutella.

money is the most useful and if you want them to have more - give them more. wildly handing out medications is the daftest thing i have ever heard unless you are a physician in a doctors without borders context, rather than a tourist in a resort.

was this "frosty" ? no it was honest and perhaps a bit less polite than my last response but that made you pout too. *shrugs*

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Hi

Have to agree with everyone else. We only ever take gifts for staff we know well, and even then it's for their children. Anything else (apart from tips) whilst being accepted graciously- because that's what the staff are like!- smacks to them, and regular visitors of baubles for the natives. If you want to go over and above the normal tip, then I'd suggest increasing the amount given, or putting some extra in an envelope for the local childrens school. I have never known a school, anywhere in the world, to be offended at a cash gift.

SL

Sheffield
Level Contributor
206 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Useful/valuable items for Maldivians

Frosty was funny! Bloomin iPhone! I have relatives in Jamaica who asked us to bring paracetamol as its so expensive over there, staff at our complex snapped our hands off. We also took a suitcase full of school supplies for a local school and this was the highlight of our trip-we always try to give something back rather than just going enjoying and leaving, pain killers was probably a bad idea!

Thanks for all your suggestions xx