We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat or Seaplane

kent
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Boat or Seaplane

Hello, I have been searching for the best island to suit our needs and Vilamendhoo is coming out on top. Husband has a heart condition and is worried about breathing difficulties on the seaplane.

Does anyone know if there is a boat service to this island please

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat or Seaplane

there is no speedboat to vila . it would be a pretty far and grim ride . the seaplanes fly very low however and shouldn't be a problem for husband ... at least not more than the commercial jet .

it does get very hot in the seaplanes but that's the Maldives . heat and humidity are the defining factors in the climate, of course. the seaplane itself per se should not present any problem by definition.

on the other hand .. if his heart condition is anything other than stable , you may want to consider that seaplanes cannot fly in the dark.. so a medical emergency would be particularly bad

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat or Seaplane

You shouldn't have a problem as although the seaplanes are very hot and very noisy, you can actually open a window for some air.

John

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat or Seaplane

Hi

Vilamendhoo has its own lounge at the sea plane terminal you can cool off and grab a drink before setting off . The sea plane flys low.,has opening windows and fans blowing .The sea plane journey is only around 30 mins and you may even land at another island on the way to drop someone off ;-) As spammie and John said you will be fine .

Great island by the way ;-)

Darryl

kent
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat or Seaplane

Thanks all, that has put my mind at rest not sure about hubby though. Will work on him!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat or Seaplane

hi kent pingu, after my recent trip to vilamendhoo i would agree that the seaplane is the best option, its not luxury hyowever it is quick and the waiting lounge is very comfy, enjoy your trip !!!

kent
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat or Seaplane

thanks sharonsheppy

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat or Seaplane

I'd say that the seaplane is the only option...

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat or Seaplane

your welcome kentpingu !!!! :)

9. Re: Boat or Seaplane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo