We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates flight & transfer

Wokingham
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates flight & transfer

Hi we're off to Vila in a couple of weeks and previously flew direct with thomson. By all accounts Emirates will be much better? Also interested to know what the stopover process is like as have a couple of hours in Dubai. I take it that as both flights are with Emirates bags are just moved from one flight to next? How easy is the process to to transfer as we have 2 hours in between flights and be nice if we had some time for duty free shopping :)

Thanks

Gary

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

Bags go straight through, you won't see them till male. Transfer is easy, just make sure you keep an eye on the next departure gate as it can take 10 minutes to get there by train/walking.

Personally, I think the airport is pretty rubbish, just a means to an end. That said, we've flown Emirates three times to Maldives and will remain our preferred service.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

One point .... On return get duty free in Dubai , not Male which is a rip off. My daughter paid $8 for a latte at Dubai airport so it ain't cheap

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,185 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

Emirates is OK but nothing special IMO

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

Can't be worse than etihad, saw them clear an entire row of standard seats to let some young bloke lie down, playing on his phone with his feet up the wall. Wasn't sure if he was some celebrity or what but I thought it was disgusting the way they split up couples to accommodate this guy.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

Hi

2 hours is not a huge amount of time as transit security can be very slow at times sods law is that the Male plane is always the farthest away from where you arrive in departures and you need to be at the gate 20 minutes before the flight is due to leave

Regards

Doug

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

Kenny - not a celebrity, just a local. They tend to do what they like. An unwritten rule here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

In my opinion, better than thomsons, yes. The full service carriers are usually better than the holiday charters.

It's simply a mode of transport though, a greyhound in the sky. If your inbound is on time, then you should be fine on connecting, your luggage will be checked through to male.

I think Dubai is a decent airport, although quite large, and it's really not cheap, connecting has the benefit of breaking up the flight, particularly if you are in economy and allowing you to stretch your legs. I also quite like people watching in Dubai.

Remember not to buy any alcohol, it shall be confiscated on arrival in male and not returned, it's a dry Muslim country and booze is strictly prohibited.

If you are on one ticket, which I think you are, and the inbound flight is delayed, the airline should provide you both duty of care ie hotel and refreshments, if extended delay, as well as book you on the next flight with available seats. Worth checking when the next flight is after the one you are scheduled on.

Wokingham
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

Thanks all

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,890 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

We came out here with Emirates this week. No problems. Transit at Dubai was even easier this time as we didn't have far between gates and no little train ride needed. Just check your next gate number as soon as you get off the plane and see a big screen. It is all very easy. You do have to get your bags screened again before you go to the next gate, but we didn't queue foe more than a minute.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates flight & transfer

Bit let down with their A380 offering, the Malaysian version felt much nicer!

Still a nice aircraft to fly on and Emirates will remain our preferred choice of carrier.

Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo