We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weak swimmer

Carluke
11 posts
Save Topic
Weak swimmer

Hi there. Myself and wife to be are heading to Vilamendhoo for our honeymoon on the 6th of September. I am not a confident swimmer and was wondering how deep or shallow the water is?

Thanks

Andrew

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weak swimmer

Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you mean how deep is the water in the ocean? The water gets progressively deeper as you move from away from the shore,,,

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weak swimmer

Hi

Parts of the reef are very close to the beach and in shallow water obviously it gets deep over the drop off but if you stay on the beach side of the reef you will be OK .

I would recommend getting a floatation vest or hiring one from the dive center at least until you build your confidence up

Fins are a must too

Darryl

Edited: 14 August 2014, 13:06
Carluke
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weak swimmer

Yeah that was what I meant to say sorry. Is the water shallow for quite a bit out from the shore or does it get deep quickly?

Carluke
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weak swimmer

That's brilliant. Thanks for that. Will maybe look at purchasing one for taking with us or I could hire it when I get there. Hopefully after a short while I will have the confidence to remove it. Can't wait to get there.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weak swimmer

Its shallow and gradual until the drop off :-)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weak swimmer

The reef is fantastic at Vilamendhoo you will love it and it's ideal for you :-)

Welcome to the forum and your new Maldives addiction :-)

Darryl

Edited: 14 August 2014, 13:18
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weak swimmer

Hi Darryl, is it like this both sides? it looks from the photos that one side at least the reef is very deep only about 5m from shore?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weak swimmer

Hi Kenny

Between the JWVs and the service jetty it's about 3 foot deep including over the coral for about 10 mtrs to 30 mtrs from the beach and then it's the drop off( very deep )

On the other side of the island it's about 3 foot deep for around 50 mtrs and then the drop off , lots of coral outcrops on the way out .

Darryl

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weak swimmer

Cool, I need to ask you before I go the best areas to see sharks, turtles, Coral, I read a review that some guy snorkeled all week and then found the best part on the last day, don't want that to happen to me lol

10. Re: Weak swimmer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo