We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
159 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

Hi all,

We're off to Vilamendhoo next month and my girlfriend has a few concerns about sharks - if we stick to snorkelling around the island, will there be any potential scares?

Regarding the excursions, the whale shark and ocean discovery are unfortunately out, but what about the manta and turtle excursion? Are there any other excursions we should go on?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

Hi

When snorkeling on the Vilamendhoo house reef you will see lots of small sharks and if you are lucky you will see the odd big one :-) You have nothing to fear from these sharks ,you are as big as them . There has never been a shark attack inthe Maldives .

You will also see rays and turtles on the house reef too :-)

Enjoy Vilamendhoo , lucky you :-)

Darryl

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

If you wait REALLY still you might get close to a baby one near the shore...

As soon as you move they will be out your way very quickly, they are easily scared...

The bigger ones, they will tend to avoid you but might swim near you and it won't bother them.

You have nothing to worry about, I was scared the first time I saw them but now I can't wait to get into the water with them it's amazing.

"the whale shark and ocean discovery are unfortunately out"

What do you mean by this sorry?

Edited: 01 September 2014, 13:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

You might see a parent yes, if at the drop off. There is nothing to fear, but I get the concern, I hear the jaws theme tune and get a bit of a panic on when I see one too.

Why is whale shark out? That's a totally different thing, not jaws like at all.:-))

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

I have seen a video on youtube in Maldives, some guy was feeding the baby sharks something and they all got excited and one appeared to have nipped his toe. Quite funny he was laughing on the video... but yeah don't feed any fish... :-)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

that must qualify as the first ever shark attack in the Maldives (if he reported it lol). Famous You tube clip of some idiot at Kuramathi lifting a shark out the water in the lagoon and holding it aloft. Think he got cut rubbing the sharks skin against him. On the line fishing night trip, a guy next to me at Biyadhoo caught a nurse shark and hauled it onboard for pics. He got cut too.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

that must qualify as the first ever shark attack in the Maldives (if he reported it lol). Famous You tube clip of some idiot at Kuramathi lifting a shark out the water in the lagoon and holding it aloft. Think he got cut rubbing the sharks skin against him. On the line fishing night trip, a guy next to me at Biyadhoo caught a nurse shark and hauled it onboard for pics. He got cut too.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

Thank you all very much for the replies! It sounds like we'll be fine around the island then :)

Regarding the whale shark tour... well, I liked the idea of the Ocean Discovery tour, but two problems are that my girlfriend gets sea sick (as was I when we went to Iceland in February, despite not having any problems with it before) and also of course the word shark in the title... I know they're harmless, tbh I think she knows they're harmless too, but she's still scared of them.

When I explained this she said "Maybe on our next holiday we could go to the jungle and do a spider tour" which even if someone told me they were completely harmless, I still really wouldn't want to do, so I can see her point.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

The ocean discovery trip is not just about whale sharks ,that's just a small part of the trip. No one will force you to jump in. Infact a few on our trip didn't snorkel.The trip is a great day . I also suffer with motion sickness but the captain gave me a tablet for it :-)

Darryl

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

I would go on manta and turtle trip if Ocean Discovery Tour didn't exist. Manta and turtle trip is a half day trip, very crowded for my taste (25 people stuck on a medium sized speedboat) and with lower chances of spotting mantas than Ocean Discovery Tour. Turtles you can see also around the housereef, most of them are spotted on the south-western side of the island. If you do not touch the corals and the marine life you will definitely enjoy at max the snorkeling. Reef sharks are very gentle if you snorkel near them so there are no dangers around the reef. The only threat can come from the titan triggerfish which is defending its nest if it has babies so try not to swim over their nests.

Miki

Edited: 01 September 2014, 19:13
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks!(?) around the island, and excursions...

A whale shark is more like a small whale than a shark, if that makes sense. It looks nothing like the stereotypical shark, and honestly, you couldn't ever be scared of one. In fact you feel a little sorry for them with all the folks swimming along side, especially if it's a young one.

I would classify it as as somewhat akin to swimming alongside a really, really big spotted dolphin, and they pay you no attention, they just get on with doing their thing. I'm no fan of getting up close and personal with anything much bigger than a turtle to be honest, but I wasn't remotely scared of the whale sharks.

She can stay in the boat and still see it. but I would say it's worth doing.

Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo