We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to visit Phimai and Phanom Rung in one day?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Possible to visit Phimai and Phanom Rung in one day?

Is it possible to visit both Phimai and Phanom Rung in one day mainly by public bus or train? I plan to arrive in Nang Rong the night before, stay in a guesthouse, then wake up early to visit Phanom Rung at sunrise then Mueang Tam by motorcycle taxi organised by the guest house. I figure I should be finished before noon then want to head to Phimai. Assuming I could leave Nang Rong around noon, take a bus to Khorat then transfer to a bus bus to Phimai, is it realistic to think I could get to Phimai by 5 so I would have time to get to the temple by sunset? I would be then spending the night in Phimai. Do I have to go back to Khorat from Nang Rong (or Buriram) then take a bus to Phimai or is there another way?

I know there are private tours that will take you to see both in a day but they are well out of my price range as I will be on my own. I'm just wondering if this is at all feasible or if I shouldn't rush it and travel to Phimai the following day

3 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to visit Phimai and Phanom Rung in one day?

I think you will be hard pressed to do this, but it might work. The good news is that there are frequent busses from Nang Rong to Khorat. By bus it should take 1 1/2 hours or so. Phimai is northwest of Khorat, again probably 1 hour by bus. I do not think there is an air conditioned bus that will take you there without going to Khorat. There may be some form of bus or van service, but it probably will not save you alot of time. Since you will stay in Phimai that night, if you are late arriving you can of course visit Phimai in the morning.

While traveling in Isaan it is best not to schedule things too tightly. Allow some flexibility. You might find a local driver who will take you to Phimai. Not a tour guide, just for transportation. That will probably cost more than the bus, but less than a tour.

Visiting Phanom Rung in the morning and moving on to Phimai in the afternoon should work. Just build in flexibility to your plans in case you get to Phimai lare than you hope.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to visit Phimai and Phanom Rung in one day?

Thank you for your response. Worst case, I see Phimai at sunrise the next day rather than sunset the day I arrive.

3. Re: Possible to visit Phimai and Phanom Rung in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 14:05

Reply to: Possible to visit Phimai and Phanom Rung in one day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nakhon Ratchasima...