We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half-day activities out of Loei City

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Half-day activities out of Loei City

We plan to hike Phu Kradueng in late January. We will be flying into Loei via Nok Air, and due to the inconvenient flight times, we'll probably end up spending the afternoon and maybe a night or two in Loei City. Any recommendations for half-day excursions? We probably won't have a car, so we would need to take public transportation, or hire a driver. Thanks in advance.

25 replies to this topic
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

You could take a songthaew to Chiang Khan - takes about an hour to get there; pretty town with lots of unique styles of houses, and restaurants and shops. The great Mekong River is right there and you could chill out with a cold beer by the riverside for awhile... a little further along that Mekong Road is Sangkom - the road between the 2 towns has great scenery.

Or go in the opposite direction to Phu Rua park; Your hotel in Loei would probably be able to offer 1/2 day tours to various places.

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Thanks for the good advice. Unfortunately our plans changed last night. My wife convinced me to hire a driver out of Bangkok instead of flying. We would travel through the night to avoid losing the 2 travel days. This will let us stay an extra day on the mountain, and visit a friend in Khan Kean. Phu Rua looks beautiful as well, but I don't think we will have time. Chiang Khan sound like a nice place to spend a few hours. I'll see if we can find a way to fit it in our itinerary. Thanks again!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Have a great trip!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Been here four times in the last six years and I love the Loei area.

Highly recommend a drive up to see Chiang Khan (its about an hours drive from Loei City) stay overnight if you can for the full experience but its an easy half day trip if that's all you got time for. A very close second is the highway heading west from Loei to Dan Sai that goes through the mountains. Some of the most amazing views I've ever experienced in Thailand (coming here since '91) and it never fails to wow me everytime I cruise it.

You'll pass the cold weather flower markets that line the road and a stop at Phu Reua is an easy visit. If you're really lucky you'll be cruising through when the Phu Reua outdoor market is going. Stop if you see it, its big and its the only one out there. Some great local stuff for sale.There's also Long Phae, off this same highway, not far from Loei city proper, where you can have lunch on a raft in the middle of a lake. its pretty nice experience. very local. Dan Sai has two incredible temples (don't wear red though), worth the drive from Loei town and doable for a halfday or so. There's other cool stuff around here of course but I'd have to say a visit to Chiang Khan ( a shout-out to the great folks at Muiphang Guesthouse, my new favorite place to stay there) and the ride from Loei City to Dan Sai are not to be missed.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

He Peter... lots of good information in your posting! By the way, I did try and make a booking through AGODA at the Muiphang Guesthouse yesterday, after looking at the pictures, which looked very nice, and I could see the Mekong River right behind it. Only problem was that for the date I wanted to book, (Feb. 14), it came back not available, so I tried entering several other dates for that same week and each date entered had a msg come back "Not Available..." so I was quite disappointed and wondered how they could be fully booked up for that week in February at this point...?

Do you have any other suggestions for guesthouses on the river in Chiang Khan? or an email address for Muiphang G.H. so I could email them direct? I saw the rate was about $26 per night. Good rate.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Yeah, looks like the word is out on Muiphang. one of the great things about it is it only has seven rooms but looks like demand is already outstripping supply. looks like that great rate might have something to do with it too. (its easily worth double)

here's their email: muiphang@ymail.com

you could also give them a call (I think I posted it in my other update)

ask for Khun Pakaa, her English is ok, just keep it simple.

right next door is a small B&B called Tao ke Lao. funky and small but nice. nowhere near the newness (and high end john) of Muiphang but the owner and people who run are super cool. ( I think one room is inside a bay window VW bus).

there's a shitload of places to stay in Chiang Khan (maybe too many). Check the reviews here and elsewhere before you book anything. and make sure its on the river side of the main walking street, Chai Khong Rd.

I used to stay at the Old Chiang Khan Guesthouse....funky, dilapidated but gave you a great taste of the old Chiang Khan, ..... for good or bad its been replaced by the NEW old Chiang Khan Guesthouse. After they rehabbed and before Muiphang opened, I stayed in a private family house that had a single river front room that they would rent out to Thai people. No english, a homemade breakfast and a warm welcome that only the Thais can give you. But now, with Muiphang Guesthouse I can have my cake and eat it too.

honestly, anywhere you stay in Chiang Khan should be cool, just have a look at the room. but the main thing is that you are in Chiang Khan, one of the best places to visit in all of Thailand.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Thanks, Peter. I will do some research into other places around the town... I am looking forward to staying there. Do you know where I would catch a bus from there to Nong Khai and what time it leaves?

Have a Happy New Year, and all the best in 2013!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

well....if you want to go to Nong Khai from Chiang Khan you'll have to take a series of buses from town to town basically heading eastward till you hit Nong Khai. there is no direct bus. its a very scenic cruise but it could take a while. Nong Khai might be more quickly visited by heading east from Wang Saphung to Udon Thani and then north to Nong Khai. its not far as the crow flies but the stretch of road from Wang Sapung to Nong Bua Lampu is quite dangerous, as it loaded with these very slow moving sugar cane trucks (double tandem) that all appear are about to topple over on you.(and lots of people passing them) Best left to bus drivers and locals (possibly hire a guy through your hotel). If you haven't been to Nong Khai, I'm not sure its worth the extra effort. I'd rather just stay in Chiang Khan (you can head west a little from town to Tha Li and cross into Laos for a few hours, on foot over their Friendship Bridge.)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Hi Peter,

Well, that's definitely food for thought... It sounds like you don't think Nong Kha is worth the effort...? I was thinking to maybe go across to Vientiane for a day or two. But I didn't realize there is no direct bus from Chiang Khan to NK. Sounds like it would take me all day to get there. Definitely glad you filled me in on that.

My tentative plan was to spend a week in Chiang Mai, and then take a bus to Phitsanulok, stay overnight there, see Wat Yai, and other things; next day, take a bus down to Loei and spend a couple of days in that area; then a day and night at Chiang Khan, and then to Nong Khai for a couple of days.... finishing up by taking a bus south to Nakhon Phanom and area for a day or 2 and then on to Bangkok for a week. But at this point, I haven't made any hotel reservations in the Isaan area, or in Chiang Mai yet. It will all sort it self out.

Thanks for the info.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Half-day activities out of Loei City

Nong Khai is no small town. it can get pretty crowded. The riverfront area is ok but lots of concrete, I'd rather just ride a bicycle around Chiang Khan for a few days. two very different vibes to say the least. but they do have it set up easy to travel to Vientienne from NK if that's your intention.

Reply to: Half-day activities out of Loei City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loei Province