We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive resort / hotel deals - where to look?

Sheffield
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All inclusive resort / hotel deals - where to look?

I am planning an extended stop over in Thailand in March this year, I'm a little worried about the current political protests but was thinking that by flying to one of the islands we could avoid any bother.

My wish list would be a resort where they offer some cultural activities as well as a beautiful beach setting, I'd love to learn a bit of Thai cooking and feel like I've learnt something more than how lovely the beaches are. In an ideal world I'd like an all inclusive hotel / resort deal but I'm struggling to find this on the interweb.

We are a couple in early 30's, no kids, and we already have our flights so its hotel only that we want.

Does anyone have any recommendations of places to try or even which websites to look at to find all inclusive deals without flights?

Also, does anyone have any very recent experience in Thailand to comment on how safe they felt there?

Many thanks in advance!

Kat

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive resort / hotel deals - where to look?

For starters as you have expressed an interest in Thai food, I would skip any all-inclusive, so that you can head out to try the myriads of different Thai dishes at lunch & dinner. Don't limit yourself to resort food ! Problem solved ;-), without the need to have all meals provided, you will find a bunch of resorts to choose from.

As for the protests, outside of Bangkok you wouldn't know they were going on other than the evening news. We have had guests coming for our bike tours stop off in Bangkok before joining us and all had no issues from the protests (other than traffic jams). Like yourselves they were concerned after reading the news outside, but were pleased to find that things were really quite peaceful overall. What will be happening by March, is anyone's guess.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive resort / hotel deals - where to look?

Kat

All Inclusive is pretty limited in Thailand. Please don't help it catch on as the only ones who benefit are foreign companies. The local economy gets wiped out.

Apart from that you'll miss out on all the wonderful food that Thailand has to offer if you're sitting in your hotel all the time.

Jim

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive resort / hotel deals - where to look?

My advice would be as above avoid all inclusive packages, the choice of good cheap food available all over Thailand is amazing and limiting yourself to one resort would deprive you of many great food experiences (even a lot of the street food is amazing).

Sheffield
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive resort / hotel deals - where to look?

Ok, you've got me persuaded on the all inclusive thing. It's just an attractive idea as we're on the end of a year away and while I'm prepared to spend a bit extra on a last blow out I also don't want to be signing a blank cheque!

Can you give any advice on how much to budget for daily food and drinks in this area?

5. Re: All inclusive resort / hotel deals - where to look?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:19