We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bushmills to Dover

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Bushmills to Dover

We would like to hear from anyone that would know how to get from Bushmills Ireland to Dover England. Should we hire a car or train? We are going in early October 2011

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bushmills to Dover

It's an eight hour drive.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bushmills to Dover

Personally, I would fly to England and hire a car there, driving or taking a train on and off the ferry is too time consuming and the price difference is minimal, from Bushmills you could fly out of either Belfast or City of Derry.; The flight will take about an hour.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bushmills to Dover

Why are you going to Dover?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bushmills to Dover

And how much time have you at your disposal? Are you planning a quick dash from Bushmills to catch a ferry from Dover? or an idle meander, stopping for a night or two on the way to visit places of interest?

Whatever you have in mind, forget about it being "an eight hour drive" - it is amazing how much time is spent simply hanging around waiting for transport connections. I suggest that you look at this site - www.translink.co.uk - for public transport options within Northern Ireland - as you can see, even getting to an airport or a ferry requires at least one change.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bushmills to Dover

If it's to catch a cruise ship then fly to either London City or Gatwick. If it's not tell us your plans.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bushmills to Dover

I'm not 100% certain, but I think I have seen mentioned on the forum a few times that the hire companies will not let you take a car on the ferry.

Even if I am incorrect on that, be aware that you would incurr a large extra fee if you want to hire a car in Ireland and then drop it off in England.

I also think that flying is probably going to be 'speedier' and easier, logistically.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bushmills to Dover

Bushmills is in Northern Ireland, part of the U.K., not in the Republic of Ireland, so the OP would not be taking a hire car from one country to another.

However - Bushmills is a very small town/large village, not a busy transport hub where one could pick up a hire car with the intention of dropping it off at Dover. Hiring once in Scotland (Stranraer or Cairnryan, depending on the crossing used) might be feasible.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bushmills to Dover

Oh, right, should have looked on a map before posting!! My geography is normally good, but slipped up this time, sorry!

I do still, think you would be wise to check if you CAN take your hire car on the ferry. Also I would still check that you can drop it off 'elsewhere' on the 'mainland' of the UK then, without an extra fee. IF you are 'clear' on both counts, it might end up being your best travel option.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bushmills to Dover

"It's an eight hour drive."

Cobblers. It's a six hundred mile drive, plus at least 90 mins ferry and hanging around

Even assuming a flat out drive, stopping only for petrol, they won't be able to do it between dawn and dusk in October.

Add the cost of taking the car onto the ferry, the base hire fee and any supplement for crossing the Irish Sea to £100 or so for petrol, and they can fly there and back several times for the same cost (and a lot less time).

The easiest way is to fly from Belfast to Luton, then get a train (changing St Pancras) to Dover (typically 135 mins' train journey)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bushmills to Dover

600km but not 600miles.

Fly from Belfast City to Manston on Flybe. But if the reason for going to go Dover is to take a ferry to France then fly Belfast Int to Paris CDG on easyJet.

Get answers to your questions about Bushmills