We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dreaming of Cushendall

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
dreaming of Cushendall

Two years ago we drove thru Cushendall on a three week trip to Ireland and I have not been able to get this village out of my mind.

I am a painter and my talented guitar playing/singing husband want to spend maybe 10 days in a village in Anrtrim. I want to paint and he wants to play along with local musicians for 7-10 days .We tend to travel off season.

Is this town for us, is there a music scene we can jump into short term, will he be welcome in tne pubs? we wondered about the Curfew Tower but all the info on line is old???

4 replies to this topic
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dreaming of Cushendall

hi

Cushendall is fantastic any time of year. As an artist you might be interested that the Curfrew Tower is available to artists for residency of 2-4 weeks - follow this link for more details cushendall.info/tourism/curfew_artists.htm. The tower is owned by the artist Bill Drummond and he makes it a condition that artists actively engage with the locals.

There is 1 of the best traditional music pubs around, just 30 seconds staggering distance from the tower - Jonny Joes . Anyone who is brave enough to play is welcome and when really busy its not unusual to have music going, both trad and non-trad - in 4 rooms - there is a cupbard with 4 guitars available if you've forgotten yours! There are also 2 pianos. This link is to their website with a webcam to 1 of the rooms. http://www.mccollamsbar.com/index.html

Hope this is of some help.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dreaming of Cushendall

Thanks,that is so helpful

I did not have much luck with the link for the tower and could not trak down how to apply, but it appears there are plenty of self catering cottages nearby. the Pub sounds exactly like what we are looking for.

Now I just have to find the time.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dreaming of Cushendall

Not sure what happened with the link but try this 1 - hope it will work! http://www.cushendall.info/tourism/turnly.htm - if the link still screws up then just try searching www.cushendall.info and go to 'places to see' page. Otherwise i could email you the details for the tower.

Belfast
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dreaming of Cushendall

I love Cushendall and the nearby village of Waterfoot, which is a gorgeous one mile walk along the coastal road.

I have stayed almost every year in various self catering properties in the area and generally tend to find my accommodation on Gumtree. If you message me I could recommend a few.

gumtree.com/uk-holiday-rentals/county-antrim

The pub staff are always friendly and my husband is a painter and has definitely been inside the tower during the annual Heart Of The Glens festival when they open it to the public and use it as a bit of an art gallery from what I remember.

Hope that helps.....

Reply to: dreaming of Cushendall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cushendall