We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

My husband and I are planning to drive from Scotland for a driving holiday that will take us through Northern and Southern Ireland. Petrol here is at cheapest £1.12 per litre unleaded and rising a penny a day at the minute. If we can find out average prices for each area it will help us decide whether to keep our plans or have a total re-think.

Had hoped to get across to Galway and the Dingles area.

All help appreciated and help with suggested scenic road routes.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

I paid £1.17 at Tescos yesterday, in Southern Ireland you would save typically 10p to 15p a litre.

The Antrim coast road is very Scenic especially if you head up Torrs Head direction.

Depending on the time you have you could head up coast road to Portrush then on to Derry/Londonderry into Donegal and head on down to Galway but you would need plenty of time to explore everywhere.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

Petrol is cheaper in the Republic of Ireland than in Northern Ireland, and tends to be cheaper in cities and towns than in more rural areas. Tescos is probably the cheapest source. I paid €1.24 per litre two days ago at my local(non-Tesco) garage in north county Dublin. Here's a link to a current thread on the Ireland Forum discussing petrol prices.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k19878…

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

Thanks folks for the info and very helpful. Will now be getting out the road atlas to check out routes as suggested as no route was set in stone but the petrol costs were a problem. Might not be camping in back garden instead after all!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

ASDA Coleraine was £1.11 a litre on Thursday (although is going up about a penny a week at the moment), for unleaded - Belfast tends to be dearer - hence £1.17 quotation) and in southern Ireland yesterday it was 1.25 euro - it is definitely cheaper in the south!

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

hI countryquine

I returned from touring around Ireland on the 20th of May and i am amazed at the petrol prices being quoted at you particularly the comment that it is cheaper in towns than out in the country.

That was not my experiance I found petrol to be cheaper

outside of the main centre's of population towards many of the coastal roads and dearer in the towns.

€1:24-€1:29 and in Northern ireland £1:23- £1:28 and that was between Newry and Belfast on the A1/A2

I travelled 3000 iles and spent €455 on fuel after converting my U.K. spend back to euro's.

Hope this helps your planning

Ray.sunshine

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

I was in Carlingford in the Republic of Ireland yesterday and paid 130.9 Euro per litre which works out about 15p a litre cheaper than in Northern Ireland.

7. Re: Driving holiday to Ireland petrol costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Portrush
Recent Conversations