We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking into Portrush

Which Portrush hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
Hiking into Portrush

Hello!

I'm meeting a friend in Portrush on the afternoon of June 23, but arriving in Dublin at noon the day before.

I'd like to spend the morning of June 23 walking/trekking through the countryside or coast....so,

I have this wild idea that I'd like to train it up to Belfast on the afternoon of the 22nd, then catch a second train/bus to some town unknown, spend the night - THEN walk/hike (2-3 hrs) into Portrush the next morning.

Does anyone know of a town with a viable walking/trekking route within 2-3 hrs from Portrush?

Any suggestions or alternate ideas are welcome!

Thanks, Ruby

3 replies to this topic
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking into Portrush

This route might work if you do it in reverse - it goes from Portrush to Bushmills via Portballintrae, white rocks beach, dunluce but it could be done in reverse starting from Bushmills. I reckon it would take a couple of hours

http://www.walkni.com/Walk.aspx?ID=584

The walkni website as a whole is worth looking at. There are quite a few walks along the north coast so if you see something else which appeals, you could always consider getting a bus/taxi back into Portrush.

I'm assuming you'll be visiting the Causeway with your friend otherwise you could do a walk including the causeway to Dunseverick.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 07:13
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking into Portrush

Note that you'll need to be careful with public transport if you're only arriving into Belfast in the afternoon - the majority of options which I outline below have a much more frequent service in the morning/early afternoon, and you're likely to find yourself stuck in Coleraine if you leave it until the evening.

----------------------------

Here's the same route (roughly) on Google Maps:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Bushmills&daddr=Portballintrae+to:Portrush&hl=en&ll=55.207186,-6.584587&spn=0.06024,0.14677&sll=55.205905,-6.584615&sspn=0.060242,0.14677&geocode=FZBRSgMd7oWc_yGOblNMtknEHg%3BFYyFSgMdyBmc_yllqqHQCy9gSDGMgX-nIpGrbg%3BFQxHSgMd6Iea_ylt2i2cMiRgSDGEdhVPF6aI-A&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=13

Here are your timetables for the bus:

The 218 service from Belfast to Coleraine: translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

And the 172 service from Coleraine to Bushmills: translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

Another option is to take the train from Belfast to Coleraine, then the 172 bus as above: translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

Or you can take the direct bus from Belfast to the Giant's Causeway, which stops in Bushmills, but there's only one of these per day: translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

Finally, the most long-winded, but scenic, way is to take the Antrim Coaster: translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking into Portrush

Your best plan would be to spend the night at Whitepark Bay Youth Hostel. Going by Antrim Coaster 252 departing Belfast Europa would be the best plann. Then in the morning walk to Giants Causeway along the coastal path. . You can then pick up a bus or continue by the coastal path on to Portbalintrae or even Dunluce Castle to pick up a bus or if time is still on your side continue along from Whiterocks on West Strand into Portrush.

Reply to: Hiking into Portrush
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portrush
Recent Conversations