We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Time in Portrush Area?

Ontario
Level Contributor
73 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
How Much Time in Portrush Area?

Our family of four is planning to visit N. Ireland later this year, and we need to figure out how much time to spend in each area. How much time should we allot to sightseeing in Portrush area? And what sights are recommended? I believe Giants Causeway and Carrick-a-Reed rope bridge are within driving distance, but what else? Two of us are teenagers and the other two are not :)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Time in Portrush Area?

I'm on mobile so can't do links but will try and remember to pick it up tomorrow. How long totally depends on your pace of travel, what all you want to see and your arrival departure time. If you are trying to see as much of ireland as possible, 1 night minimum i.e. allow one full day but equally you could easily spend 2 nights and not cover everything. It also depends where you are coming from/going to.

Worth seeing? As a minimum - Drive the causeway coastal route, stretch your legs en route by doing the waterfall walk (small but pretty waterfalls) at glenariff, take the tor head scenic detour (not for the faint-hearted) dunluce castle (explore, dont just do the photostop), if weather is good grab a poor bear ice-cream and go for evening stroll in portstewart (maybe cliff path) or white rocks beach, photostop for mussenden temple, bushmills distillery (may depend on kids)... Try and do the causeway early am or late pm before the coaches of daytrippers arrive. Also if you have a couple of nights, spend time exploring the little coastal villages. Doesnt take much time but there are some pretty hamlets (eg portbradden), old ruins and nice bays:)

UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Time in Portrush Area?

defo allow half a day to see giant's causeay...you could also do carrick-a-reed en-route...(only a few miles down the road) in about an hour and a half

Portrush main attraction for teenagers is Barry's - this an an amusement type arcade with roller coaster etc (smallish)....depends on what you like doing ??

there is bushmills whisky distillery in the area on one side, or on the other is mussenden temple

portstewart is a small coastal village which is nice, or coleraine is a bigger town (both are 5-6 miles from Portrush)

You could also visit derry /londonderry (approx 1 hour drive from portrush)- def worth a visit- you could easily spend a whole day in derry and depending on when you are in NI derry is UK city of culture 2013

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Time in Portrush Area?

Portrush tends to get disregarded a little due to the summer crowds of day trippers arriving by train eating french fries, pushing prams, and hanging around the arcades all day... Which really is a shame. Portrush East strand is 3 miles of beautiful beach backed by huge sand dunes, blue sea, and the little offshore skerries islands. You can even watch basking sharks here close to shore if youre lucky. Theres a huge new surf school there which teenagers may be interested in (I dont have details but Ponaire may help you) and the walk on out towards the White Rocks is lovely and you can see Dunluce Castle perched up on the cliff tops in the distance. On the West strand theres another beach which leads from the harbour behind Barrys Amusements (mentioned above). Theres also a nice walk around Ramore Head. For restaurants theres 55North which has a view from its windows which is hard to beat anywhere (theres also a little cafe downstairs you shouldnt miss which does great teas and pastries and food). For breakfast you can pop into the Ramada Hotel (you dont have to be staying there) and eat from a buffet which will leave you unable to eat another thing until evening theres so much to choose from. Theres also a little center facing Landsdowne Crescent at the top end of the town which displays the local natural history (summer months only I think) and theres the Dunluce Center with a restaurant, a 3D type virtual ride, and a viewing tower and shops, plus of course its golf course if youre into that. Dont discount Portrush itself then. Personally id like to remove all the amusements from the town as its a beautiful area spoiled by the kind of people these places draw in. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon. I still love the town though.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 21:22
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Time in Portrush Area?

Totally agree about those arcades horizon!! I definitely think portstewart is a nicer place to stay.

Where Portrush has the edge is with restaurants and to a lesser degree with pubs. Portrush has the ramore winebar and its 3 sister restaurants (4th to be added soon), jackman and pye (very popular esp if you like seafoid) and 55 degrees north. Portstewart has less of a selection and they are more standard fayre.

Ontario
Level Contributor
73 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much Time in Portrush Area?

How awful to see I didn't reply to your wonderful suggestions before now - please forgive my rudeness, and thank you for your help. I will definitely be checking out many of your ideas - hoping to skip the arcade!! My son will be delighted to hear about the basking sharks - he hopes to be a marine biologist one day!

Will report back after our trip!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much Time in Portrush Area?

Normally I avoid amusement arcades but I have been visiting Barry's since the late 1940s and would be devastated if it closed. One of the very few constants in an ever changing world.

7. Re: How Much Time in Portrush Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2016, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Portrush
Recent Conversations