We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

Which Kilkeel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camarillo...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

My husband and I are planning a trip to Northern Ireland next year. Kilkeel will be one stop for a few days because I want to see where my ancestors lived; my gggrandfather died while working in his field in a place called Derryogue at the age of 106! Those folks must have been healthy and strong! What else is there to do in this area for a 60-ish couple?

19 replies to this topic
Camarillo...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

Thank you, thank you! I've printed out the posts on the thread, just in case they decide to remove posts and I need to contact you in the future.

My next message will be to Banbridge Genealogical Services. The Ulster Family History Society did find some things on my ancestors a few years ago, and sent me the front page of the Newry Telegraph dated December 23, 1876, which has a brief message on the front page, saying they "had been advised of the death at the unusually advanced age of 106, of Mr. Wm. Fegan, of Derryogue, Kilkeel, who died yesterday morning...while walking in his field." While I have information on all of his 8 children, I know nothing about his wife, other than her name.

I'd searched through many Irish historical websites and such, but had never been put in touch with Banbridge Genealogical Services. From their website, it sounds like this is just what I've been searching for. Thank you very much,

charlotte

Renton, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

We are going in 2 weeks..I descend from the Kinney family of Ballymageogh, Kilkeel and the White family are my cousins. There will be a family reunion in Atticall and the Cnocnafeola Centre is where we will be. The reunion is set for August 1, 2010..All is welcome to those who have had their ancestors move away from Co. Down....randybruyere@yahoo.com

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
414 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

Kilkeel is a pleasant drive away from Warrenpoint where we have some great pubs and restaurants, a promenade and municipal park so if you want a relaxing day and the weather is nice you can drive here in 15-20 mins or take a bus in.

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
414 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

I've had just been posting to someone who will be staying in Carlingford next week that the Warrenpoint Maidens of the Mournes festival will be on all week starting from Sunday which you might be interested in? www.facebook.com/maidenofthemournes

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

I love Kilkeel,the Silent Valley is stunning & the Spelga Dam,lovely place for a walk...The drive in to Newry from Kilkeel is nice,it takes you through Rostrevor & Warrenpoint.A nice hotel in Warrenpoint is The Whistledown.There is a beach in Cranfield a few minutes from Kilkeel,nice to stroll along.

I stayed in S/C accommodation on a visit to the area last year,I will look up the details & send them on to you.We too looked at the ones you mention but we opted for something else,on the recommendation of local friends ! Not alot to do in Kilkeel,but a great base.The Mourne Mts really do sweep down to the sea !

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

The accommodation we stayed in was on www.discovernorthernireland.com & Its Apt 1,The Sandpiper,Lurganconary Road,Carnfield,Kilkeel

Hope this helps.Its was spotless & very well maintained ! Would deffinitely go back !

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

Thank you all very much. Unfortunately, we will not be able to get "across the pond" this year for various reasons, but have just delayed the trip till 2012.

One of you mentioned that you had a family reunion in the summer; how did you go about finding relatives who still live in Northern Ireland?

Edited: 31 January 2011, 00:17
Camarillo...
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

Randy, your referral to the County Down Genealogy @ Yahoo site worked out marvelously!

Your contact also replied to me; she has already filled in a slew of empty blanks on my family tree, and thinks she might be able to find some relatives who are still living in the area. It's wonderful!

Thank you for responding to my message; this will make our trip in 2012 much, much better!

charlotte

Renton, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast

justcruisin11........glad to hear it worked out for ya...when ya go to Ireland, don't forget me..randybruyere@yahoo.com

Reply to: Trip to Kilkeel and Belfast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kilkeel
More Kilkeel Topics