We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

intersting accommodation Coleraine

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
intersting accommodation Coleraine

Our family of 5 will pick up a car from Belfast International, at about 8am, and then have a quick drive through Belfast. (how far is the airport from Belfast?)

Then we will spend the day driving along the Antrim route and end somewhere near Coleraine so we can head to Donegal the next day. In case we get the wrong tide maybe we should be near the Causeway so we can pop back the next morning if we need to?

Any tips for interesting family accommodation ? For example Dieskirt (500 acre farm) at Glenarriff appealed to me, but is probably not far enough around on the route for us. Any quaint cottages, fantastic owners, horsey places, or castles that spring to mind?

And lastly, I am thinking of doing a one off splurge and staying in a castle in Donegal town the next night. How many hours to drive from Coleraine to Donegal town?

Thanks!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: intersting accommodation Coleraine

http://www.limepark.com/cottagesmenu.htm

I live in Coleraine and honestly can't really think of anything 'quirky' locally but these cottages get great reviews and a close friend went to a course there recently and absolutely loved it. It would be further around than Glenariff so better from that point of view.

the last cottage is probably the one for you as it has three bedrooms, others only one or two bedrooms.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

AA times tend to be conservative. Allow half a day as you will want some photo stops and rest stops for food etc!

If you have time though Derry and northern Donegal are interesting and beautiful places - consider breaking your journey with a night in this area.

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: intersting accommodation Coleraine

Maybe not quirky, but certainly very swish. Thankyou.

Just to clarify...are you saying 1/2 day is enough for that trip and to see Causeway?? Maybe I could be saving valuable time and heading on to Donegal for that night? But that would be pushing it then wouldn;t it?

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: intersting accommodation Coleraine

I would highly recommend " Ballylinny cottages ", situated half a mile from the giants causeway, i stay here myself on holiday and have had friends from Australia and Canada stay here too, you will get no closer to the sights than here. Have a look at the website below, and you are still within easy driving distance of Coleraine and Donegal.

http://www.giantscauseway.co.uk/

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: intersting accommodation Coleraine

Hi Etty

To clarify - you want to allow 1 -2 hours to see the Causeway. You could do it in less - bus down, take a few snaps and bus back and be done in 1/2 hour but that would be such an injustice to the place. Enjoy the walk, walk on the stones, photograph the giant's boot etc....

Then you need to travel on from the Causeway to Coleraine. Allow 30 - 40 minutes for this. It can be done in less by locals but I would allow that much time.

Then the AA allow just over 2 hours from Coleraine to Donegal Town. I think that would be hard to do for anyone!!! I would allow 3-4 hours as you will want to stop for rest stops etc.

Don't forget along with the Causeway, you have Bushmills Distillery, the Carrick-a-Rede ropebridge, Dunluce castle etc so you do want to allow yourself time to enjoy the area!

Great suggestion from bgekk though - you're right at the Causeway so if you have limited time in the area, you're not going to get a better recommendation!!

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: intersting accommodation Coleraine

thank you both- this helps a lot!

6. Re: intersting accommodation Coleraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Coleraine