We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longleat... what a tip!

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Longleat... what a tip!

Okay, maybe that was a bit misleading!

Had a fabulous day out in beautiful Longleat yesterday.

Just wanted to pass on my top tip.

When you arrive, avoid going straight into the safari park. It is so busy in the mornings as that's what everyone seems to do first. You feel obliged to keep moving or end up waiting for ages behind someone who seems to have stopped for no reason.

Instead head for the safari boats in the grounds. The queues for the boats in the afternoons are unbelievable yet it is a real shame to miss the boats as they are great fun.

I suggest going to the safari park at about 4.00 or 4.30.

The last entry is at 5.00, (at least it was yeserday... It may vary so do check). It's a fair drive from the other attractions and not brilliantly sign posted so allow plenty of time to get there. But boy is it worth it at that time!

We were the only ones in the monkey jungle and the cheeky little things flocked to our car.

Also, I think the lions and tigers are fed when the park closes so they're getting pretty hungry by that time. Lots of pacing around and eyeing up the passengers in the cars.

One of my favourite days out!

Oh! And be sure to look out for poor Winky the tortoise in pets corner. Bless her!

…bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2090012.stm

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longleat... what a tip!

Lilly: Wish I could have been there.

I checked out the photo of Winky the tortoise -- amazing! I didn't know they could attach a wheel to replace a foot.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longleat... what a tip!

We were last there in maybe May. It bucketed down!!

I agree Longleat is beautiful, with something for everyone. We visit probably every other year. My children are 8 and 12, and I have to say, it was the first time that I thought maybe they were too old for some of the attractions, or maybe they were just down because of the rain.

DH will not let me drive through the monkey enclosure anymore, ever since the monkeys swiped the washer tube one year!

But yes, it's a fantastic day out. The house is beautiful, too. So grand. Your tip is a good one. I've always done the safari first, and you're right - it's like a conveyor belt.

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Longleat... what a tip!

I'm actually looking forward to the time when my kids are too old for some of the attractions. We've always had a toddler with us whenever we've visited Longleat so I've never actually risked going into the house. (I used to work in a primary school in Bradford and I'll never forget the horror of a child darting under the red cord at a stately home on a school trip and climbing into a four poster bed).

Maybe when mine are a little older I'll actually get to see what is widely regarded as the best example of Elizabethan architecture in Britain instead of pretending to talk to Ted Glenn and Mrs Goggins in Postman Pat's village.

I don't blame you for avoiding the monkey jungle. Another fun thing about visiting the safari park in the afternoon is seeing all the number plates, windscreen wipers and bits of trim that the monkeys have managed to tear from cars during the day.

We don't tend to worry about it too much because our car is a bit of a wreck anyway.

(Although one year we did make the mistake of visiting the safari park the day before our MOT was booked. I'm not sure that the mechanic believed us when we tried to explain why we were missing an indicator cover and various bits of rubber)

We go maybe every other year too. We were going to give it a miss this year but we won some tickets in the school raffle. And at £19.00 for adults and £15.00 for kids it saved us a pretty penny.

BTW if anyone's reading this and would like to visit Longleat in the future, children can get in free with a Blue Peter badge. I suggest you encourage them to try to win one. They're fab! There are LOTS of other places where you can save money too. Take a look at the Blue Peter website for some ideas of how to win one... My son won one in a competition but I've heard you can get them by drawing pictures, writing stories and poems, helping others and the environment etc, etc.

(Good luck!)

4. Re: Longleat... what a tip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 01:17