We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A meeting of friends in Chesterfield

Which Chesterfield hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A meeting of friends in Chesterfield

A group of 20 or so friends from many different parts of the UK want to get together for lunch one day. My estimate is that Chesterfield is suitable spot for everyone to get to by train or by car.

I know very little about the place, though, apart from the famous crooked spire and some notion of the town being a pioneer in large-scale building restoration. Many of the group have moderately strong interest in (and knowledge of) architecture.

So, I'm going to google away to see what we can get up to, either for a day trip or possibly an overnight stay (for some of us), but does anyone here have any suggestions of good things for thr group to get up to?

Also, we'll be looking for somewhere pleasant to have lunch - ideally, one large table, where we'll be able to linger as long as we want to, over good food and possibly a few drinks.

Thanks,

Nick

4 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A meeting of friends in Chesterfield

There isn't a lot to Chesterfield and really don't understand your reference to building restoration - I can't recall any.

Might you be better in Derby - a couple of good pubs amongst a revived area by the station of railwayworkers cottages - or Sheffield which has more good pubs than you could shake a tankard at. And restaurants like the Milestone that was recently on television as runner up in the best in Britain competition. There is some 'interesting' architecture and there is a book about it available from local bookshops and Millennium Galleries.

One either side of Chesterfield on East Midlands trains and also not bad from the M1.

Peak District with Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall are close by for drivers.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A meeting of friends in Chesterfield

Not really at Chesterfield, but what about a visit to Hardwick Hall (more glass than wall) and then your lunch at the lovely Hardwick Inn. Great food and ale to be had at that venue!

http://hardwickinn.co.uk/default.aspx

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-hardwickhall

The other side of Chesterfield you could go out to Chatsworth, of course, or to Haddon Hall, or both.

There is a decent Ibis in Chesterfield, not very 'imaginative' I know, but it is well placed for walking around the town, has plenty of parking and is reasonably priced which often goes down well for a group, it also has a bar.

Here's the local tourism website, if you have not yet found it for yourself (but I bet you have!!):

http://www.visitchesterfield.info/

and another:

http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A meeting of friends in Chesterfield

Thanks both, and apologies for the radio silence.

Although there has been some interest in Chesterfield from this group, they have decided on Bristol.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A meeting of friends in Chesterfield

Ah well, good things North (or midlands) and good things south.

Go see the Great Britain, you and your 'mate's' won't regret it.

Have a good time with your chums!

Reply to: A meeting of friends in Chesterfield
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chesterfield