We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venue for a Funeral Wake

Cheshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Venue for a Funeral Wake

Unfortunately my mum passed away on Christmas Day. Due to things beyond our control, her funeral is not until the 20th of January. The funeral is being held at a church close to the centre of Chesterfield, followed by the Crematorium. I don't know Chesterfield that well but I have the task of finding a suitable venue for the wake. I initially looked at The Riverside which had a reasonably priced sandwich buffet for £6, however there is hardly any parking and there are expected to be 70 to 100 people attending. Does anyone have any ideas on a venue please?

Mentioned in this post
Chesterfield
Chesterfield
Derbyshire, UK
6 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,109 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venue for a Funeral Wake

Having lost my Dad in November, my heart goes out to you.

I used to live and work in the area, and have 'scouted' a few places 'webwise' that came to mind, but none of them were much good....

So I can't think of anywhere "off hand" but will put my mind to it.

Would you consider going "out of town" a little, sometimes sports clubs like Golf Clubs can prove surprisingly good options.

With much sympathy, EW

Cheshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venue for a Funeral Wake

Dear EW,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

We could go a little out of the centre, but not too far as some people may be using taxis to get there. I've been looking at reviews of hotels and restaurants in the area and I'm wondering whether The Batemans Mill Hotel in Old Tupton might be okay or too far. I also thought about The Chesterfield Hotel, but that wasn't so brilliant when I went some years ago.... I guess I'm just going to have to ring them all one by one and find out that way.

Mentioned in this post
Batemans Mill Hotel
Batemans Mill Hotel
278 Reviews
Old Tupton, UK
Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venue for a Funeral Wake

My sympathies at this time.

Having had to organise a few funerals over the years, my best advice is to ask the undertaker, they will know better than anyone.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,109 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venue for a Funeral Wake

Batemans Mill is nice enough IIRC.

But look at google maps, etc to see if it fits your distance remit!

Caspdex has the excellent idea, ask the Funeral Directors. OF COURSE they have dealt with "almost anywhere" locally. They can help you for sure.

Did your Mum have any hobbies/likes/dislikes? That helped us with decisions for our Mum and Dad.....

Mentioned in this post
Batemans Mill Hotel
Batemans Mill Hotel
278 Reviews
Old Tupton, UK
Cheshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venue for a Funeral Wake

Thank you. I will ask him tomorrow. :)

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
495 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venue for a Funeral Wake

Sorry to hear your very sad news. Old Tupton is a fair way from Brimington - possibly a bit too far I would think. For ease of access the choices are either to look for something back in the direction of the town centre or to go further away from town towards the M1 in the Staveley direction. The Chesterfield Hotel is nearby - although access to the car park is tricky. La Casa is quite handy - but likely to be expensive. Both are back towards the town centre. There will be various options in Staveley. As has been suggested, the funeral directors will be able to advise.

Mentioned in this post
Brimington
Brimington
Chesterfield, UK
Reply to: Venue for a Funeral Wake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted