We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bakewell parking

lake district
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Bakewell parking

Hi there,

I am staying in Matlock Bath and will be travelling to Bakewell to do the tourist sights. Can some please advise me where to park (car park rather than roadside) that is central for getting around, also, any tips of what to see and do would be greatly appreciated (where is the best place to buy a pudding from?)

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards

T

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
561 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bakewell parking

Parking in Bakewell can be a bit problematic, especially on market days, when the town really does feel very busy indeed (but in a good way). I usually head for the car park across the bridge (so, when coming from Matlock on the A6, turn right at the roundabout in front of the Rutland Arms Hotel and follow the road across the bridge; turn right at the far side and right again and you'll see the car park on your right hand side). From there you can either walk back across the bridge you've just driven over, or use the footbridge at the other side of the car park. Either way, it's a 5-minute stroll back into the town centre. There is parking right in the town centre itself, but finding a space there is not going to be straightforward.

Bakewell is very much a place just to wander around and have a look-see at the various small shops (there are various little courtyards throughout the town with several shops in each - just look around and you'll soon come across them). The gardens just off the roundabout I mentioned earlier are lovely, certainly in summer (not sure when you're visiting?) Also, the town has several well dressings during the season. As to the best place to buy a pudding, there are a number of outlets. I tend to stick with the Original Pudding Shop (sort of diagonally opposite the gardens - you'll soon spot it!) Make sure you have a plastic bag with you though, as they tend to be a bit greasy and the paper bags the shop provides aren't exactly good at containing the grease marks... All forgiven when you taste it, though.

If you have children with you they will enjoy watching the ducks and geese along the river.

lake district
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bakewell parking

Thank you for the post, I will be there a week Friday so I am hoping that the town will not be too busy ... Your directions and input are greatly appreciated .... Thank you again

T

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bakewell parking

Everyone has their own opinion on which shop in Bakewell shop sells the best puddings ! If it helps, my work colleagues prefer the ones produced by the "Bakewell Pudding Parlour" on Water Street (opposite the chip shop) !

lake district
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bakewell parking

Thanks Phil, i can feel the calories mounting!

kind regards

T

5. Re: Bakewell parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Bakewell