We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

8 posts
Save Topic
From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

I am planning a tour of the Cotswolds and would like to use public transport if possible to arrive in Bskewell to see Chatsworth. Is that a realistic goal?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,076 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

Check trains Kemble to Derby www.nationalrail.co.uk then local bus to Bakewell, and Bus Cirencester to Bakewell www.nationalexpress.com

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

In your other thread you were asking about hiring a car. Now it's public transport. Which is it?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

To be honest, getting to Bakewell by public transport is not an easy journey (and I certainly wouldn't try to do it by train from Kemble as that is a long way from the most popular parts of the Cotswolds !).

I really think that you are going to need a car to do this trip in the time you have available.

Phil-the-Bus

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

Oxford or Cheltenham would be better starting points for public transport to Derby - both have through trains and are easily reached from the North Cotswolds. Oxford by train and Cheltenham by bus from Moreton in Marsh

You've an( only mildly) awkward transfer from bus to rail in Cheltenham though

Edited: 05 June 2013, 10:58
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

Your other post suggests that you are considering staying in Oxford - if so then I would suggest the following:

- Stay in Oxford for 2 nights and just hire the car for one day to visit the northern part of the cotswolds.

- On day 2, catch the direct train from Oxford to Sheffield, from where buses run every hour over the hills to Bakewell (you could also get off the train at Chesterfield or Derby, but getting to Bakewell is usually much easier from Sheffield).

In August, you will be able to travel from Bakewell to Chatsworth by bus fairly easily, but you will need to give yourself a full day there to make it worthwhile. However, getting to London from Bakewell / Chatsworth is fairly simple to do by travelling via Sheffield, and can be done late afternoon if necessary.

Phil-the-Bus

8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

Trying to determine the best approach of car versus public transport., having never driven in the UK. If it is relatively easy to maneuver using a car hire and making that distance then may be using a car and skip public transport .

8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

Phil you are. Wealth of knowledge! It's a tad hard to decide on car versus public transport. I want the ease of being on my own schedule but want the relative effortless support of public transport. I will share your info with my brother and may return with some questions.

Thanks to replying to both threads as I have not used the forum before and was hopeful to have knowledgable "friends" reply!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

Perhaps you might consider taking the bus from Heathrow to Oxford, decompressing there (without a car) and then hiring it to drive round the Northern bit of the Cotswolds and then to Windsor.

The bus takes 90 minutes...

www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=24

I am not sure where your hotel is in Windsor--you mentioned that it was a Holiday Inn Express? Please note that as of 21 May 2013, the manager there stated (on this forum, under reviews) that their parking lot was still under construction.

As parking can be difficult in Windsor (a town not designed with the auto in mind) please look at this guide to the public lots, which are cheaper, and will not run you the risk of getting a ticket that the private lots will.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c132451/Winds…

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

The other thought might be to leave your visit to Windsor until you return to London - Windsor is very easy to visit by train as a day trip from there (or even half a day).

P-t-B

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From the Cotswolds to Chatsworth

We have our hotel booked on London for 8/19 until departure so our flexible time is at the first leg of our holiday.

We can juggle a bit but have a stay at Beeley booked on 8/17 for a Chatsworth tour.

Get answers to your questions about Bakewell