We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Spaniard from "Chesterfield Centre"

Which Matlock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puertollano, Spain
1 post
Save Topic
A Spaniard from "Chesterfield Centre"

Greetings from Spain. My name is Antonio Carmona. There���s something I will never forget in my life, and that���s my stay in Matlock during several summers in the late seventies, early eighties. Spain was such a different country to what it is now, so there was a great contrast between Derbyshire and La Mancha of Don Quixote, where I live, which impressed me so much, and I was just seventeen, if you know what I mean (that last sentence sounds like a song, doesn���t it?).

���Chesterfield Centre��� was (I think it still is) a short of organization, whose endeavour consisted on accommodating Spanish students with English families, living in their own houses, so as to make this students share there customs, language, everyday life��� I was one of those students. We had English classes every morning, given by English teachers.

I can clearly recall one of them who became a very good friend of mine. Her name was Libby and she was married to a man called Keith. They had a one year old child, Sam, and lived in Starkholmes (Matlock). Unfortunately I can���t remember their family name. I know that they left to Hong Kong in 1981 for a few years.

I would really appreciate it, if you gave me any kind of information about this family or if any of you want to share their memories about this time. Looking forward to hearing from you,

A. Carmona

London, England
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Spaniard from "Chesterfield Centre"

Hi Carmona

I think I understand what you mean;

I visited Derbyshire's Peak District 20 years earlier, when I was 15, on a school study trip, and the contrast between the open countryside and my home on a London housing estate - while maybe not as great as that between La Manch and the Peaks- was stunning.

The experience of being let free, to walk back to the hostel across pathless moors, was liberating for a kid who'd only experienced the streets of Brixton or the hemmed in country paths around London...

or maybe it was something to do with being young... 'those blue-remebered hills'of our past, when sugar was sweeter and salt was saltier...

manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Spaniard from "Chesterfield Centre"

Hi Antonio

My name is Anne-Marie. I saw your post whilst looking for hotels in Matlock for this summer.

I lived in Bamford in Derbyshire for a short time before moving abroad. This would be in 1995. We rented a house with 3 storeys and had the most fantastic views of the mountains, reservoir and countryside. It was the summer of '95, one of the hottest and longest on record, I think. The buried village (under the resevoir) could be seen because of the lack of water. I trudged the hills and valleys with my 8 year old daughter for that magical, too brief period. Ever since I have longed to go back to live, but the opportunity hasn't arisen.I loved it so much and really didn't want to leave. It took me a year to get used to the new country that we were to live in for the next 3 years. Reading your message took me back - I am sorry that I can't help you with your search, I just felt a common bond that I had to repsond to! Incidentally, I am going to Ferrol in North Western Spain next week for a wedding - this is possibly my second favourite place in the world! A well kept Spainish secret! Good luck with your enquiries. AM

Get answers to your questions about Matlock