We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racecourse visit

Bury
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Racecourse visit

Planning a trip to Ripon racecourse next year. Can anyone suggest ay accomodation within walking distance to the course

9 replies to this topic
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
810 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Racecourse visit

Hi

The Old Deanery is about a mile walk from the racecourse.www.theolddeanery.co.uk

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
810 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Racecourse visit

Sorry that should be www.theolddeanery.co.uk/

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Racecourse visit

if you look on the racecourse website you will see hotels that offer you 2 - 4- 1 tickets in to the races if you stay with them. This may be of interest to you

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Racecourse visit

jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/hotels/the-unicorn

Wetherspoons have a hotel in Ripon.

Bury
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Racecourse visit

Thanks for the link. Is parking a problem at the Unicorn?

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Racecourse visit

not too sure you may need to park in a paid car park during the day but the market square will be free at night.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Racecourse visit

There's a huge car park next to Sainsburys behind the Hotel but it will clock up the money I would imagine if you park there for a long while. I only park in it to shop, never stayed any length of time.

Thursday is Market Day where you'll fight for a space anywhere.

I've been in the Unicorn once, on a Monday evening for some food when there was nowhere else open, it was late and I didn't have a kitchen at home (don't ask!) - have to say I wouldn't rush back, in fact personally I would actively avoid. The carpet in the dining room was a sea of spilled food for instance. Never stayed there though as I live locally.

Edited: 22 November 2011, 13:33
Bury
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Racecourse visit

Thanks for your reply. Think we maybe better off at the Ripon Spa. Is the parking adequate there

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Racecourse visit

Er yes, it would be the Ripon Spa for me every time, I have to admit. The waiter spilt a whole load of rice as he served our meal in the Unicorn, and it was just left to be trampled into the carpet - that sort of thing really does put me off.

The Unicorn is slap bang in the centre of Ripon, literally over the market square, so noise could be an issue as well if you were staying at the front.

The Ripon Spa would be a bit further to walk to the racecourse, mind you I'd get them to order me a taxi! Not sure about parking but I'm sure they'd let you know if you contacted them.

Reply to: Racecourse visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ripon
Recent Conversations