We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

We will be arriving in Kenmare for 2 nights, from Kinsale, and then heading to Dingle for 2 nights after Kenmare. We would like to see The Gap of Dunloe, as well as drive the Ring of Kerry. With Kenmare as our base, any suggestions on how best to accomplish this?

I was thinking about the bus tour from Killarney for the Gap of Dunloe. Since we will be heading to Dingle, perhaps we should drive the Ring counter-clockwise? Thanks for any help!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

Scenically it is supposed to be better to drive counter clockwise round the Ring of Kerry. The south coast is better than the north coast. When we drove it we got between Cahersiveen and Glenbeigh and began to find it boring, so turned round and retraced our steps back to Kenmare.

The bus tour of Gap of Dunloe makes sense, especially if it includes a ride in a trap up through the gap and a boat trip back to Ross Castle and bus back to Killarney. There are several companies running tours.

Kenmare is a nice place to stay. It is quieter and less touristy than Killarney.

Eleanor

san francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

Thanks Eleanor, that was helpful about the direction to tour the Ring of Kerry.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,369 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

If I had two days in Kenmare,

Day 1 would be a drive over by Molls Gap, stopping at Torc Waterfall on the way (can't miss it, it's flows right down to beside the road. Then checkout beautiful Muckross house and Gardens. You don't have to go into the house, but if you like that kind of thing - go for it. I just like to stroll around the grounds and sit by Lough Leane with a picnic. (If you are clever you might just bump into Torc Waterfall again)

Then it is on the Gap of Dunloe, where you park at Kate Kearneys Cottage car park and you can then decide to walk or take a pony and trap up to the gap. If you like walking a lesurely stroll up to the gap will take you about 90 minutes.

Day 2:

I would have three choices -

1.drive around the Ring of Beara, amazing on a clear day.

2. Drive part or maybe all of the way around the ROK, though it would be pretty rushed.

3. Drive half way around ROK to PORTMAGEE and take the ferry there out to Skellig Michael. You have to be at Portmagee at 10am so it would probably mean leaving Kenmare at about 7:30am !!!

There is lots more to do, but that's what I would like.

san francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

Thanks, that is sooo helpful- I like driving to the Gap ourselves and not taking the tour- our time will be much more flexible. That leaves our 2nd day to drive the Ring and then head over to Dingle.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'drive the Gap' yourselves. what are your intentions here?

During the day cars are frowned upon and you may get a fair bit of aggro from the jaunting cars. You may have to park up and walk.....If you want to drive up Gap of Dunloe then the best idea is to wait until evening when you will be able to drive it without any problem. It will also be quieter too.

Eleanor

san francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

Sorry, I meant drive TO the gap, and then walk it or hire a jaunting car to take us through it and back. Is that feasible? Thanks.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

Yes, that's fine, no problem. I was just a bit concerned that you we planning to try and drive up it and then find you couldn't.

The Gap itself is about 4 miles to the junction of the dead end road to Black Valley. (I think this is as far as the jaunting cars go.) It's a good easy walk. If you have time you can either continue along the 'main' road towards Moll's Gap, which will put on another 5 miles or so. Or you could explore the side turn up to the head of Black Valley. You will have lost the crowds along this bit.

You could easily spend a whole day walking in the area.

Eleanor

8. Re: Best plans for 2 days in Kenmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 00:20