We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kinsale/killarney itinerary

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland, oh
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
kinsale/killarney itinerary

I will be in Ireland at the end of May. we are flying into Dubln and seeing the republic in a clockwise direction. We were driving out of the Dublin the first day to kilkenny (stopping at glendalough). The next day we were going down to hook head, stopping in waterford and staying in Kinsale. I wanted to go to mizen vision the next day-the question-should I stay another night in kinsale or head to kenmare. The next day I was going to killarney national park and staying in dingle. following that, do slea head drive and then going to the cliffs of moher and spending the night. is it feasible to do slea head and drive to the cliffs of moher the same day if planning on staying in doolin?

any other suggestions would be helpful.

after doolin, we were going thru the burren and heading up towards galway to see connemara national park and haven't decided to do aran islands or go to achill-will post this indicision on another forum.

thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kinsale/killarney itinerary

You are certainly planning to do a lot of travelling. If you don't mind spending most of your time in a car, and just stopping for photos/lunch during the day, then that is ok. In keeping with that pattern, then you would give yourself most flexibility by not spending a 2nd night in Kinsale. It is certainly do-able to travel Kinsale-Mizen-Kenmare in a day.

Dingle-Slea Head drive-Moher (via Tarbert ferry I presume) - Doolin is just about doable in a day also, again with no major stops along the way.

I would visit the Aran islands (ie the main island, Aranmore) instead of Achill and would take a do-nothing day to chill out there rather than trying to see all of Connemara. You will need a break from your car by the time you get there!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kinsale/killarney itinerary

I would try to spend a couple of nites in Killarney rather than Kinsale as that is not as viable alocation for "spoke" sidetrips. By that I mean Kinsale not being a location from which you can venture easily to other areas as though from the hub of a wheel.

Personally, I think it is more relaxing not to have to pack up and go to a new locale every day of a trip.

Believe that you will return to Ireland!!! and don't rush yourselves.

cleveland, oh
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kinsale/killarney itinerary

thanks for your input. so I may skip kinsale/mizen vision totally and spend our second night again in kilkenny. would you then spend 2 nights in dingle as base for killarney national park and slea head drive or kenmare? i have heard killarney is very touristy, expensive and crowded during summer? probably will spend one night in doolin and 2 nights in galway and include a trip to the aran islands.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kinsale/killarney itinerary

To answer some of your questions: I would not use Dingle as a base for Killarney NP but rather spend your Dingle time in Dingle. Kenmare does work for seeing the Kenmare side of the KNP but would not be practical for a day trip to the Slea Head or Dingle area in general (though it has been done by many it seems from reading trip reports).

5. Re: kinsale/killarney itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 08:24