We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

What's YOUR recipe for 4 perfect days & nights in Kenmare, County Kerry? (-:

My husband and I are looking forward to spending 4 nights in Kenmare in September as a base for exploring County Kerry. We will have a car, and enjoy walking, scenery, Irish Trad music, fresh seafood, meeting interesting people...and hidden gems or spontaneous moments. (-:

This will be our second trip to Ireland, but it's our first visit to Kenmare. We saw the Dingle peninsula on our first trip to Ireland, but we have never seen the Iveragh peninsula nor the Beara peninsula.

As I dream about our trip and plan for it...I'd love to hear YOUR recipe for 4 perfect days & nights in Kenmare?

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

We just got back from County Kerry, spending two nights in Kenmare. We spent the first day in Killarney National Park where we did the tour of Muckross House (worthwhile), ate lunch at the cafe there (the huge hot lunch for 10 euros was delicious and one of the best deals we found on this trip), and did the 11 km walk around the lake (a nice hike, but not as many lake views as I expected).

On the second day, we drove the Beara Peninsula (which we did not originally plan to do) and it was a real gem! If you are willing to drive on the minor roads, look for signposts for various sites as wedge tombs. Sometimes we found them, sometimes we didn't, but it was great fun when we did! (The wedge tomb we found by walking in a farmer's field was neat!) Be sure to give yourself enough time to take the cable car over to Dursey Island. We only had enough time for an hour or so on the island, but you could do some excellent hiking there. We thought the scenery and views on the Beara Peninsula were much better than on the Ring of Kerry.

On our final day in the area, we walked the part of the Gap of Dunloe, beginning on the opposite side from Kate Kearney's cottage. There were fewer walkers, cars, bicyclists and horsecarts on this end which made the walk more enjoyable for us. (Ask your host for details on how to get there. We found a nice place to park off the road about 2 miles from the church.)

You could also drive part of the Ring of Kerry one day and return to Kenmare for the evening. Be sure to stop at Staigue Fort and there are some great hikes around Derrynane NP.

Finally, in town, be sure to walk over to the stone ring. We did it one evening and were the only people there--magical! Also we had an interesting time walking through the graveyard in the abandoned abbey about a 10-minute walk from town. There are a lot of dining choices in Kenmare--from gourmet food to pub grub. Our host recommended 3 pubs all next to each other and we ended up in Davitt's, which was good for us. Another night we just ate in the fish-and-chip shop and had a nice chat with the man who cooked up our food as we waited. There's seating outside or upstairs and the fish was tasty and HOT!

Mentioned in this post
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
5,912 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Dursey Island
Dursey Island
118 Reviews
Crookhaven, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
2,970 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Kate Kearney's Cottage
Kate Kearney's Cottage
600 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Staigue Fort
Staigue Fort
251 Reviews
Castlecove, Ireland
Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
64 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

Thanks for all your tips on what to do in Kenmare. We will be spending 3 nights there and I was wanting to explore the Beara Peninsula. So glad to hear that it is well worth exploring. We love to hike to and I love your suggestions! We leave in 6 days!

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

Hallo there Melissa and welcome back! Good to see you again.

1. You should definitely try to drive down to the Black Valley. Thanks beanalainn, for the recommendation a few years ago !

Melissa, take the N71 towards Killarney, then turn left at Moll's Gap. Just beyond the turn you go right (sign-posted). Okay, this is a pretty narrow road but I am confident that you can do this, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

2. A drive around the Beara peninsula is a must. I was there last weekend in glorious sunshine. Hope it will be the same for you. The Beara peninsula is much less busy than the RoK. I would recommend driving around it clockwise.

3.Get some goodies and have a picknick on the Healy Pass out on the Beara peninsula, watch out for the banana eating sheep.

4. Just enjoy Kenmare. It's a beautiful place. Have dinner in Mulcahy's, very much worth it.

5. If on the Beara peninsula try to get the turn just past Eyeries onto a very small backroad (sign-posted Ring of Beara and eventually Ardgroom). It will take you right along the coast with fantastic views over to the Iveragh peninsula.

The cable car to Dursey Island isn't much worth the effort in my opinion. Up to you and the time you have.

Have a wonderful time in Ireland, Melissa. I would love to have a trip report.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Moll's Gap
Moll's Gap
174 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Healy Pass
Healy Pass
192 Reviews
Adrigole, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Mulcahy's Bar and Restaurant
Mulcahy's Bar and...
531 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Ring of Beara
Ring of Beara
121 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Dursey Island
Dursey Island
118 Reviews
Crookhaven, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

longhorn74: Wow, thanks for sharing about all the fun you had while using Kenmare as a base! (-: Now I'm more excited than ever. We do want to see the Beara peninsula, but I didn't think about dursey island and didn't realize there was a cable car over. I hope we have good weather one day and can allow a whole long day for the Beara peninsula and Dursey island. Did you pack a lunch or stop enroute for lunch on the Beara peninsula?

We definitely want to visit Muckross, but I'm not sure if the entire thing is open in September...we will visit whichever parts are open. I hope the cafe is open for lunch as you mentioned...sounds good.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

Clauds: Hello! Thanks for all the exciting suggestions! We are really looking forward to exploring more of Ireland... I have fond memories of our first visit to Ireland. Yes you are right, if the road goes there, my husband can follow it. If there is no road, we will make one. Just kidding! (-;

I'll be delighted to post a trip report when we return. I'm hoping to have a bit of writing time to make poetic notes when I'm inspired while in Ireland.

Ok, I'm adding Black Valley to my list of must-see places. I need to look that one up and read more about it. Clockwise around Beara peninsula...ok... I'm glad to hear you had glorious sunshine on Beara! A picnic at Healy Pass sounds like a fun plan. Are there toilets on the Beara peninsula? 0-: I hope so.

I'm printing all of this out. What was your favorite dinner at Mulcahy's?

Your #5 suggestion sounds special...we would love to see great views of the Iveragh peninsula from Beara!

I'm curious about why you didn't like Dursey island as much as the Beara peninsula?

Dreaming of wild Irish scenery, Guinness and other gentler beers...Trad music, and atmospheric pubs with great Craic...

We will be in Ireland for about 15 nights, but I thought it would be fun to post separate questions for each of our "bases". Kenmare is 1 base.

It's good to chat with you again! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Healy Pass
Healy Pass
192 Reviews
Adrigole, Ireland
Mulcahy's Bar and...
531 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Dursey Island
Dursey Island
118 Reviews
Crookhaven, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

Hi Melissa, the reason I wasn't crazy about the cable car over to Dursey Island is that I'm scared of heights. My friends made me go in the darn thing... some friends, haha! We only stayed for about half an hour on the island since one of said friends isn't so well and I minded him until we got the cable car back.

If you need toilet facilites your best bet is Castletownbere or any of the little villages (there are toilets at the cable car to Dursey as well). No loos on the Healy Pass, I'm afraid. There is a small shop at the top but it was closed when we passed by so I can't say anything about facilities there.

To be quite honest, I don't remember what I had to eat in Mulcahy's in Kenmare, just that it was very good! Hubby was happy as well and we left as very satisfied customers.

If you do a google search for Black Valley Killarney you get quite a few websites.

Another recommendation would be a visit to Garnish Island off Glengarriff (www.cork-guide.ie/garnish.htm). If you like gardens I'm sure you will enjoy this gem. The ferries leave from Glengarriff, the return trip cost 10 Euro per person and admission to the gardens is 4 Euro. Well worth it!

I'm sure you'll enjoy Kenmare. September can be a lovely month over here, let's hope it will be for you!

Mentioned in this post
Dursey Island
Dursey Island
118 Reviews
Crookhaven, Ireland
Healy Pass
Healy Pass
192 Reviews
Adrigole, Ireland
Mulcahy's Bar and...
531 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

Melissa, we ate picnic lunches everyday on our Ireland trip. In Kenmare, we used the large supermarket called Super Valu that is easy to find and has plenty of parking.

There is a National Looped walk on Dursey Island of 14 km, but we only had time to walk around for an hour or so so we couldn't do it all. There are some ruins of an old church not far from the cable car which we enjoyed exploring. (You'll likely see sheep grazing there.) discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/durs…

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Dursey Island
Dursey Island
118 Reviews
Crookhaven, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

4 days in kenmare just not enough for me was there last week-

amazing-from Aileen darcys food just amazing and her family-

and wine- and lunch in purple heather with the wonderful grainne-charcol steak fantastic team ther too --coachhouse great staff and music-

packies food n wine divine-and for some fun late nite the square pint

meet some friends for life great music and locals-

and i could go on horsseshoe -grace and paul great hosts...

the list is endless kenmare is the crown of the kingdom with endless

jewels....

clive dublin

9. Re: What's the RECIPE for 4 perfect nights in KENMARE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2012, 05:22