We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Shannon

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain Home...
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Shannon

I'll be visiting near Kenmare with a group of friends in August. One of us has to leave early and is flying from Shannon. What's the best way to get there without a car? I could drop her in Kenmare or Killarney.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Shannon

If you drop her in Killarney, she could get the bus to Limerick and from there to Shannon.

www.buseireann.ie

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Shannon

You can get to Limerick from Killarney by train with 2 easy changes (one at Mallow, one at Limerick Junction). Total Journey time - about 3 hours. Then you must get a bus or taxi to Shannon, journey time - depends, but should not take more than 30 mins (help: other DE's)

Alternatively you can travel by bus or train from Killarney to Cork city and pick up a bus there direct to Shannon Airport at the Cork Bus station. Total Journey time about 4 hours right to the airport.

How your friend does it depends on what time her flight from Shannon is.

If you let me know what day and time of day she is flying out, I can be more specific.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 23:18
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Shannon

Half hour Limerick to Shannon..2 1/2 hours Cork to Shannon (same bus)

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1272287885-51.pdf

Why not all have a day trip to Cork the day they leave so you can drop them off at Cork Bus station?

Edited: 22 May 2012, 00:17
Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Shannon

Personally I would take the bus from Killarney to Limerick and catch the next bus to the airport - it is waiting for you and you have 20 minutes if you need to use the facilities.

Bus Killarney to Limerick, duration 2 hours 5 minutes, leaves on the hour most hours

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1308580332-14.pdf

Bus Limerick to Shannon, duration 30 minutes, leaves 25 past the hour every hour

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1272287885-51.pdf

I took it a few years ago the night before a flight and it was a pleasant journey. Sit up front for a good view of the countryside on route.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 00:57
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Shannon

All good ideas there, and the drop off at Cork city is a good one too, time for you to do the HOHO tour of the city and visit a few of our lovely sights.

Travel time Killarney to Cork - 90 minutes.

Killarney
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Shannon

Drop her to Killarney Bus station. Bus to Shannon airport (change at Limerick bus station). There is no point driving to Cork to get someone on a bus to Shannon. Cork is worth visiting tho'

7. Re: Travel to Shannon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:42