We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenmare 2 nights

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kenmare 2 nights

I am planning my future trip to Ireland with my wife. It won't be this sept but will September 2014. I know long ways off, however I get OCD over planning our trips. On our 10 days through Ireland is going to bring us into Kenmare for 2 nights. It is where I feel a bit overwhelmed. We will arriving from dingle as we will be doing the slea head drive/conor pass then on to Kenmare. I would like to do the ring off Kerry, but already doing the Slea head drive and then on my way out of kenmare to Cork doing the Beara ring, I am wondering if I shouldn't drive the whole ring of Kerry. I def want to see Killarney nation park, muckross abbey house, and then on the other side the skelling Michael tour. What would be the best way to see this. Am I missing some big things while I am there, like the gap of Dunloe? I'm just not sure how to arrange my time spent there. Any help would be appreciated.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenmare 2 nights

Don't stress. All that you have mentioned is very doable and not overwhelming.

I would suggest that (as you nearly suggested yourself!) that you don't do the full ROK. The Dingle Pen is a fabulous Pen with just as good and sometimes better views than ROK. You will get to see half of the ROK anyway on your drive to Portmagee for Skellig Michael. Portmagee is at the tip of the ROK. Make a decision on the day to return the way you came or to carry on around the full ROK. To do the full ROK justice you need 8 hours. If you don;t have that - don't do it.

Beara Pen is also very pretty, and will probably take you about 4 - 5 hours.

The Gap of Dunloe is worth seeing and one of my favourite sights near Killarney. However if you don't have time and you miss it - don't worry. You will already have seen quite enough.

You have tons of time to put your itinerary together. What I suggest is that you buy the OSI - Official Road Atlas of Ireland and start getting a feel for the Island in general. The atlas is available online and is not expensive. It is incredibly detailed and a perfect companion for your trip to Ireland. It is also a great souvenir of your trip (not to mention many future trips). I'll get a link for the atlas and post it here in a minute.

Here you go:

http://shop.osi.ie/Shop/Products/StockedItemsWH03/PID-14003(StockedItems).aspx

It is also available on Amazon and Ebay.

Enjoy the planning and come back here anytime a new question occurs to you.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 18:48
Canada
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenmare 2 nights

I did both- R of K and Beara and Beara won hands down. Such diverse landscape, quaint towns and the fantastic Healey pass.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenmare 2 nights

Is it possible to get up early the morning we leave Kenmare and drive the Beara pen and continue on to cork?

4. Re: Kenmare 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:17