We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best drive from Cahir to Kenmare

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best drive from Cahir to Kenmare

Looks like this is a bit of a drive and was wondering if there is a preferred route and if there are any suggestions on things to see or places to stop along the way. Or if it is just better to find the quickest way and just get to Kenmare.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,940 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best drive from Cahir to Kenmare

There are a number of places to visit.

I'd suggest you start off by heading straight to Cork on the motorway.

Then head to Blarney. You can visit the Castle and Gardens but also have something to eat/refresh yourself in Blarney Woollen Mills.

At that point, I don't think you will have time to visit the beautiful West Cork coastline. But you will have time to visit Gougane Barra. Gougane is beautiful. http://www.gouganebarra.com/

Then head to Kenmare.

routes.aaireland.ie will give you exact directions. Key in Cahir to Kenmare and add in Blarney and Gougane Barra as +via

You will see some lovely scenery between Macroom and Kenmare.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 14:06
Springboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best drive from Cahir to Kenmare

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best drive from Cahir to Kenmare

see..........aaroadwatch.ie / county traffic

ideal for any road-works and rta's on route

linked to Twiiter.

enjoy your trip.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best drive from Cahir to Kenmare

I would second Bean A's suggestion. I regularly drive that route from Cork en route to Dingle and the drive from Macroom to Killarney (known locally as the "county bounds") always lifts my spirits

5. Re: Best drive from Cahir to Kenmare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:17