We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

This will be our first time to Ireland----flying in/out of Shannon in early September for 9 nights and renting a car.

We are staying the last night in Bunratty, as we have an eary flight---and thinking about dividing our other 8 nights between Dingle, Kenmare and one other area.

I'm thinking about Galway or Kinsale or maybe something more inland. Suggestions?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Not a fan of Kinsale.What about Killarney?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Do you think that is too far from Kenmare? Is there a village in Tipperary or Llimerich you really like?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

If you're arriving in Shannon off an overnight flight, you may not want to drive too far your first day. If you'd like somewhere inland, how about a couple of nights in east Clare? Have a look at Killaloe at the southern tip of Lough Derg. This is a quieter area (ie off the main tourist trail); it has beautiful scenery and from Killaloe you'd be able to explore the shores of Lough Derg, even drive to Cashel:

http://www.discoverkillaloe.com/

http://www.discoverloughderg.ie/

http://www.visitclare.net/holyisland.php

Cashel is approx. 90-minute drive from Killaloe, and 20-minute drive south of Cashel will bring you to Cahir:

heritageireland.ie/en/South-East/CahirCastle/

heritageireland.ie/en/…

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Or, drive from Shannon to the Burren region in north Clare if you want to experience a very different landscape; it's around 75-minute drive from the airport:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

http://www.ballyvaughanireland.com/

:-)

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful information! At this point, I think we will heed your advice and spend the first 2 nights in Cashel [then 3 in Kenmare and 3 in Dingle]. Do you have a favorite hotel?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Although I've visited Cashel several times, I've not actually stayed in Cashel. Does your accommodation "have" to be a hotel?? There are some super b&bs and guest houses:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g212096-c2-Cashel_C…

I've stayed at Bansha House on several occasions; it's a short drive from Cashel - a simple b&b, but I love it:

http://www.tipp.ie/banshahs.htm

or there's this:

http://www.derrynaflanhouse.com/rooms.htm

:-)

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

3 nights each in Kenmare or Killarney, Dingle and maybe Clifden or Galway would be a very nice trip without too much driving around. I find the coastal towns to be much more interesting than the inland towns. Killarney has the pony cart rides and beautiful scenery around it, and a very walkable town center. Kenmare is nice, maybe not quite as large but also will have fewer tourists and motorcoach groups. If you go to Clifden it's also a short trip to Kylemore Abbey which is a very nice stopping point -- and excellent gift shop!

Last month we flew into Dublin and drove to Powerscourt Gardens and Glendalough and then spent our first night overnight at Inch House in Thurles. Inch House is a very comfortable and well-kept old mansion and has an outstanding restaurant there. Our first night we really like to eat where we are staying and get to bed early after dinner without doing any more driving. Thurles is a very short drive to Cashel. We went from Inch House to Holy Cross Abbey to Cashel to Mallow to Killarney and it didn't seem like too much driving for one day and even with those stops we got in to Killarney by about 4:30 or 5pm.

Next time in the southwest we would like to visit Glengariff and Gar(i)nish Island and the Beara Peninsula.

Good music towns are Killarney, Dingle, Ennis, Galway, Clifden, Westport.

Definitely go to a medieval banquet. They cater to tourists but they are still good fun and you'll get a good music show. Bunratty is the largest and liveliest, but they really crowd you in. But Durty Nellie's and Mac's are two very good bars also there, and there are some great shops at Bunratty in the folk park and in another little mall next door. Knappogue Banquet at Quin is my favorite, smaller and a little more poetic. Dunguaire near Galway is also good, but smaller in scale. We stayed in Kinvarra, saw a great music session at Connolly's Bar, and walked just 10 minutes right to the Dunguaire Castle for the banquet.

Have a great time!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Thanks to all for the good advice! We have made some decisions! We booked our air, added one more day and decided to spend the entire time in the southwestern part of Ireland.

night 1 ?

nights 2--3 ?

nights 4-5-6 Kenmare [Sallyport]

nights 7-8-9 Dingle [Heaton's]

night 10 Bunratty [have not selected hotel or B&B yet]

We would like to stay the first night in a small charming village not so far from Shannon on route south. Cashel, Adare, Mallow are all in the running----any other thoughts? Then for the next 2 nights, Kinsale or Clonakilty seem like a good base. Do you think these 2 seaside towns are too much like Kenmare? Other suggestions?

Thanks.......

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Consider Killaloe/Ballina at the foot of Lough Derg for night one, Off the main tourist route but a taste of Ireland before hitting the tourist spots. Under an Hour from SNN and 1 1/2 hours from Cashel and the M8 Cork Dublin motorway.

Kinsale has become the latest revival and a nice place to visit but personally a little further west might be an overnight spot, Although with a Kenmare base next on the list perhaps Cork itself might be a good touring base.

The last night close to the airport gives many options between Adare and Ennis. You will presumably be having an early night so night life wouldn't be key, possibly consider Newmarket on Furgus as a last Irish Ireland night.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Mallow is functional rather than "charming".

Kerry, ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sept. in Kenmare and Dingle-----want to add one more stop.

Cashel sounds like a god plan not too far from airport!! and you get to see the rock of cashel.I would definitely recommend Clonakilty for your 2-3 night stay its a lovely town with great restaurants and you will always find Irish music playing and west cork is gorgeous also then a nice straightforward drive to Kenmare on day 4. For your last night I would suggest bunratty we stay there anytime we fly out to NY. You could go and see bunratty castle. Bunratty is a 15min drive to airport so it's ideal!!!