We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenmare trip - Summary

San Angelo, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kenmare trip - Summary

Just wanted to provide a brief review of our May trip to Kenmare. We flew into Dublin, stayed a night, train to Killarney to pick up rental car and then off to Kenmare for 7 day stay. I could write a novel on the whole thing (and am, in fact, writing a novel--work of fiction about County Kerry-Kenmare specifically as I was so utterly inspired by the place), but I'll keep this short and sweet. I'm sure the whole country is fantastic, but I can only speak to where we were. Kenmare was a wonderful homebase and we explored Dingle, Behar Peninsula, and ROK--all amazing and mind blowing. I have never encountered such warm people and seen such beautiful land. The running joke was that I felt like everything was staged (think "Truman Show") because every experience, sight, activity, moment was so incredible. It felt positively unreal. Highlights for me were: Gleninchaquin Park, just driving aimlessly along the Ring of Kerry, and just about every moment spent taking in the region. You really can't go wrong--just leaving your house exposes you to a series of magical things--whether the people, an unexpected waterfall, grazing lifestock that somehow seem more content than what I'm accustomed to seeing, a scone, or an open market offering local food and wares. Man, did I love Ireland! As for Kenmare specifically, we stayed at a house about 2 miles out of town along the River Roughty. It was a great place and I'd highly recommend it (on VRBO, Home Away, etc). I ran in the mornings and marveled at the countryside. Days were spent exploring the region. We also went to Cork one day and spent some time in Killarney. Great pubs, restaurants, etc. Kenmare had 2 large grocery stores to allow for eating at home. My favorite restaurant was the Purple Heather for lunch. We didn't eat dinner out much, but had a couple of good meals at O'Donnabhain's. My favorite pub was Crowleys. I loved Jam for breakfast scones. There were many other dining options that looked great, but we ate at home a lot or in surrounding towns. So in sum, Ireland is the best country I've ever visited. We try to make a trip overseas each year and I'm always wanting to see something new. However, Ireland was so incredible that we did something we've never done: booked overseas travel for the second time in one year and are going back to the same country!!! I can't wait. Thanks to all that answered my questions when preparing for our trip over.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 16:17
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

So glad you enjoyed! Kenmare and the surrounding areas are lovely indeed, and your report really captures some of the magic!

Hope Island...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

You have just increased my excitement a million fold! in May 2014 we will be travelling from Australia to UK where I will meet up with my sister after not seeing her for 3 years, then we are all, (myself, my husband and my sister), flying to Ireland for a two week holiday, we have booked a beautiful cottage in Kenmare for the first week and another cottage in Sligo for the second week, I loved how you described all the scenery etc, I wish we were going sooner!!

San Angelo, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

You're going to have an amazing time! The good thing about May is all the daylight you can take advantage of--sun rises early and goes down late. Also, the weather was agreeable--cold and rainy at times, but nothing unbearable. It's an absolutely beautiful country from the land to the people. Sounds like you have a very special trip planned. Not just Ireland, but spending time with your sister after three years apart. Enjoy!!!

4. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 21:08
Edited: 12 August 2013, 21:08
Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

Just wondering if you would have the VRBO number for the house? I'm planning a trip next year in the same area and it's always great to have a personal recommendation. Thanks!

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

We spent two weeks in Kenmare this year and just booked again for next year. We stayed in a great cottage called Bun Cillatah that's own by Jer Foley. He also owns O'Donabhain's and several other rental properties in the Kenmare area. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the one we used. It and a second cottage, Bar Cill Atah, are on 12 acres of land overlooking the bay and just off the Ring of Beara. It's 5 minutes from town and very private.

I have no relationship to the owner other than being a satisfied guest.

Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

Sounds good. Perhaps you could send me the contact info? Thanks again!

Hope Island...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

Hi 'Family Trip Canada" the VRBO number for Kerford Cottages, (there are 2) in Kenmare is VRBO Property 13370, I have just googled Kerford Cottage and found a really good youtube video of the cottage, it is just beautiful! Hope you manage to book it.

Huntley, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

Lots of daylight in May. Wondering what it is like in mid September? Thanks in advance.

Palm City, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenmare trip - Summary

Thanks for posting. We booked the same house for next month based on internet listing alone. Reassuring to stumble upon a positive testimonial. We loved our first (summer) visit to Ireland so much that we're returning to see whether we might tolerate the winter well enough to relocate there.