We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenmare or Killarney

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kenmare or Killarney

I am trying to decide whether to stay in Killarney or Kenmare as a base during part of my visit at the end of May. Although I am renting a car, I may want to take a tour bus and do the Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula. I heard from a friend of mine that Killarney was crowded and busy as opposed to Kenmare. I am leaning towards Kenmare. I am trying to find out if there are any tour buses that I can take from Kenmare or nearby or would I have to drive into Killarney to meet up with one of the tours. I only found Deros Tours on line but it looks like they depart from Killarney.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

Thanks so much!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

I emailed Friars Glen; Larkinley Lodge; Maggie O's B&B; Elyod House and Applegate House. Any insight you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

Hi, I don't know if you are aware but it's the tattoo convention and a motorbike convention in Killarney the weekend you are planning so it may be a lot busier than usual. Killarney is only a 30 min spectacular drive away if you go Molls Gap way from Kenmare. The tattoo convention is being held at The Gleneagle which is right next door to The Brehon so even this quite part of town may be busy.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
92 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

If its end of May going into June bank holiday weekend there is usually some festival on in Killarney which will bring in crowds so bear that in mind. Killarney for me is however a better base overall and I would visit Kenmare from there. Killarney IMO is not crowded, it has a great buzz about it and is very pleasant day or night. Kenmare is smaller and quieter yes if that is what you are looking for. Personal preferences though,

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

Larkinley is wonderful b & b in a great location in Killarney. We stayed there for 3 nights last September....Toni is amazing host and was the best stay on our trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

Thanks to all who replied. Is anyone familiar with the Purple Heather B&B in Beaufort, Ireland and/or Crystal Springs B&B on Woodlawn Road in Killarney. I was able to find availability there.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

I was able to find availability at the Crystal Springs B&B on Woodhaven Road in Killarney and also at the Purple Heather in Beaufort. Is anyone familiar with those B&B's and if so, comments are welcome.

Thanks!

18. Re: Kenmare or Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 19:15