We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

Dingle, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Topic
Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

I have read reviews for the above premises (I think owned by the same person) on this site and they are so bad. Surely people who have stayed there (and did not like it) should make a complaint to Bord Failte or something,

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

Dingle999, I don't have enough faith in Bord Fáilte (now called Fáilte Ireland - I think) to know that they would bother doing anything about a handful of complaints about two B&B's in Dingle.

Fáilte Ireland would be more interested in the 4+ * hotels - maybe. My personal opinion of Fáilte Ireland is that they all sit around a board table at the end of the visitor season and collectively say "WHEW - we've survived another one, now how can we make next year any worse"

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
kerry
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

Oh ye of little faith! Failte Ireland have just kicked the Old Mill off their books yesterday following all the complaints!!! So it does pay to kick up a fuss. Mind you, their sister B & B, Baywatch, never was registered with the tourist board which was one of the reasons they were booted out...you could book yourself into The Old Mill, an approved property, and then turn up in Dingle only to discover yourself being sent down the road to Baywatch, an UNapproved property. Dodgy.

So the Old Mill will no longer be approved by Bord Failte. Which just means disgruntled tourists will no longer have anywhere to complain to.

Thank God for TripAdvisor!!!!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

I am more inclined to wonder why dingle999, who is obviously from Dingle, claims to be from Dublin, Texas.

The reviews are a bit odd too, so many first-and-only damning reviews, makes a change from first-and-only glowing reviews I suppose. Dingle999's only review was for a B&B in Ventry, 4 miles down the road, that he said he had stayed in. I wonder if there is any significance in this quote from one of his posts 'As I used to work in many different B&Bs on the Dingle'.

I am beginning to wonder if there is any point to the review system, there is so much scope for self-promotion and neighbour bashing its hard to know what to believe.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ventry
Ventry
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

Nestev, you are so right, I am of little faith - sorry.

I'm glad to hear they booted off a bad 'un.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

"I am beginning to wonder if there is any point to the review system, there is so much scope for self-promotion and neighbour bashing its hard to know what to believe."

Doneraile, I spent time reading reviews in my area, one property posted reviews (so obviously) then came back and thanked the 'reviewer.'

I think if you ignore the ranking (they are off the wall for B&Bs in Bunratty) and edit out the obvious fakes, then remove the one's that had unreasonable expectations (or if either the reviewer or property was just having a bad hair day) - you'll get a pretty good idea as to the nature of the premises.

If someone here on the forum that contributes frequently and gives a thumbs down - I would never mention the place on the forum.

I think that it would take a pretty low life competitor to place a negative review - but nothing surprises me.

kerry
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

Bryno, I think your take on Failte Ireland sounds just about right! Overpaid suits sitting round a table scratching their heads.

There IS a complaints procedure though. For B & Bs, I think they're in trouble once five complaints are lodged against them. And after a self-catering property receives two complaints in any given season, the owners have to pay a couple of hundred euro to have their premises inspected.

So anybody who has a bad experience in either a B & B or a rental property should really kick up a fuss and make themselves heard because it seems complaining really does have an effect. Eventually.

Anyway, reading the bad reviews on TA is a great way to pass a couple of hours at work :)

Dingle, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

" am more inclined to wonder why dingle999, who is obviously from Dingle, claims to be from Dublin, Texas."

I am actually from Dublin, Ireland

"The reviews are a bit odd too, so many first-and-only damning reviews, makes a change from first-and-only glowing reviews I suppose."

Why do people have very strong views about the two premises? And if true why did Bord Failte take Old Mill House off their listings ?

Dingle999's only review was for a B&B in Ventry, 4 miles down the road, that he said he had stayed in. I wonder if there is any significance in this quote from one of his posts 'As I used to work in many different B&Bs on the Dingle'.

I am not from Dingle but spend the summer there - usually working (pubs/B&Bs etc)but did stay in a nice B&B in Ventry a couple of years ago

"I am beginning to wonder if there is any point to the review system, there is so much scope for self-promotion and neighbour bashing its hard to know what to believe."

You are always welcome to stay in Baywatch/Old Mill House and give your opinion on Tripadvisor on your stay there. To be honest I have not visited either premises and they could be brilliant etc

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Old Mill House
Old Mill House
30 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Ventry
Ventry
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,916 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

You've never stayed at either property but you're suggesting that someone should make a complaint about them. OK...

And you're from Dublin. Or Texas. Or Chicago. Or Kerry. Got it.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dingle, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

I simply read the reviews on them and they were extremely negative. No other property in Dingle on Tripadvisor had got so negative reviews

Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are the reviews for Old Mill House/BayWatch B&Bs so bad

Having read the review on another of the Millhouse selfcatering properties speaks for itself. How can someone check into a property as the previous guests are checking out after a weeks stay? Hello!!! I would imagine that it is standard practice to clean a house before you check the next guests in. Did they even change their sheets? The mind boggles? Forget Failté Ireland....outdated and in the past.

I do believe that most of those bad reviews were very geniune.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe