We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Dingle from London

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington, DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Dingle from London

I have about a week to spend in Ireland and have never been there. I am meeting up with my daughter who has been in Dublin for the summer. She would like to see Dingle and surrounding areas before leaving. We both need to fly out of Dublin at the end of my visit. I will be flying into Ireland from London and I was wondering if it would be best to fly from London to Shannon or Cork instead of Dublin to save time (she could meet me in either place). Then we could rent a car for our week and use it to drive back to Dublin. Would this be a good plan or please let me know of better ones. Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

You could fly London stansted to Kerry and meet her there, 30 miles from Dingle.

washington, DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

Thanks for letting me know about Kerry. I should have mentioned that I am flying into Heathrow from the US so I was hoping to fly to Ireland from that airport.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

cant you fly direct from US to Shannon?

washington, DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

I need to use frequent flyer ticket that goes to London.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

Consider flying from Heathrow to Cork. Cork Airport is 2hrs 15 mins from Dingle. This compares to a 5 hr drive to Dingle from Dublin

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

Yes, if you have to use Heathrow then I too would recommend Cork, ORK. Your daughter can book online and get a cheap train ticket from Dublin to Cork City and a bus from the city center to meet you at the airport. If you are traveling light you could both fly back to Dublin from Kerry Airport, KIR - much faster than driving.

washington, DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

Thanks very much for the Cork and Kerry suggestions and for advice for my daughter as well..

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
88 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

Yes, my parents flew Heathrow to Cork. We spent a few days in Killarney (not recommended) and then went on to Dingle. Dongle was our favorite, you will love it. The road to Dingle from Killarney was very easy, but the road from Cork to Killarney they reported was a bit difficult.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
88 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

They flew Aer Lingus because none of the discount airlines flew out of Heathrow, FYI.

washington, DC
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Dingle from London

Thanks for the help. We had a great trip. I flew Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Cork and then we drove the coastal route from Cork to Kenmare. Stayed at the lovely Sallyport House in Kenmare. Then drove the Ring of Kerry and spent two nights in Dingle at Bambury's Guesthouse -- another great place. We drove the Dingle peninsula and on the second day drove to Killarney National Park where we did a 10 km walk around Muckross Lake and visited the beautiful gardens. We drove to Cashel and spent the night a Joy's Rockside B&B -- great place -- heard wonderful traditional music and dancing at the cultural center that night and toured the Rock the next morning before driving about two hours to Dublin. Flew back to Heathrow from Dublin on Aer Lingus.