We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience on the Blasket Islands

Dingle, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Topic
My experience on the Blasket Islands

I lived for 12 years in Dingle but I have only visited the Blasket Islands once ! in 2001 . Even though in a strange the history of the place has influenced my life.. I hated the book 'Peig' with a vengeance in school . (A book about a woman who was reared on the island). Anyway last Saturday it was a glorious day and I got it into my head to take the trip. I checked the Internet for the times and hey presto a boat was leaving the Pier at 11am . Even though it was very hot there was a strong wind and the sea was slightly rough. On the way out we spotted Fungi (of course) and he followed us for a while. On the trip out it was hard to take photos/video as water kept splashing up etc. When we got to the island the sky was looking amazing and I knew it would be a great day for photography. Once we were transferred to the island it was like been in another world. Indeed it felt creepy to see the ruin houses (I probably know relations of the former inhabitants) but the spectacular beach, the sheep grazing on the hillside, seals swimming just off the beach made me feel I was in heaven. We arrived at the island as 12pm and left it at 3.15pm app.. but I felt time had stopped while I was on the island..Before leaving the island I talked to a couple of tourists and they were asking about the history etc... They were amazed at my dislike of the book 'Peig' but you had to to go to an Irish secondary school to understand that :) Everybody was tired on the trip back to Dingle..

Some pointers...

It is a long day ..11am to 4.30pm

Bring sandwiches /drinks (sadly the cafeteria is closed on the island)

I was lucky it was a VERY warm day but more often than not even when it is sunny it can be a cold trip..so be prepared

In my humble opinion do not get fixated with the history.. just take delight in the beauty of the place.

Oh yep I nearly forgot Peig herself used to work in Curran's Bar main street in Dingle :)

Ger

My little Photo Blog of the Day

flickr.com/photos/…

Video:

http://youtu.be/W6rg4ZnrtlA?hd=1

:

Edited: 29 May 2012, 04:12
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing your story and the photos with us!

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Thanks, your photos are fantastic.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Thanks for sharing.

I have never been on the Island & I too have lived in Dingle,married a local & a relative was operating the ferry at one point.

Will get to it eventually !

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
162 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Beautiful photos and interesting to hear your story. Thanks for sharing!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Lovely video too, Ger. Makes me want to be there now. Now that the ferry is alos operating from Ventry I can actually walk to the boat

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Ger: super photos - and what a lovely day it must have been!

We went twice last year - April and August, and it was sunny both days, but very hazy. In April we shared the waters with about a dozen basking sharks: it was a fantastic sight!

I've just re-arranged my photos on flickr:

flickr.com/photos/…

The children love a day on Blasket so much that I'm planning a trip this summer - sssh! They have no idea they're coming back to Dingle ;-))

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
770 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

You are so fortunate to live where you can go when the weather permits!! We just returned yesterday from Ireland and we were in Dingle 4 days. Boats were unable to go!! :( Last year we were also there 4 days with no sailing. We'll just have to keep traveling to Ireland until the weather permits us to make the trip!! See you next year??

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,922 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Smashing report. Just to clarify that Peig was not reared on the island. Her family originally lived near the school and rath in Cill mhic a' Domhnaigh. her parents lost a number of babies and blamed the rath for their bad luck.They moved to the other side of Sliabh an Iolair near Dúnchaoin,where she grew up.

As was the practice at the time she went into service in Currans, on the top of mainstreet in Dingle as a teenager. She married an islander and then moved to the Great Blasket. As a writer,she comes across as somewhat sorry for herself, her life was no harder than anyone else at the time.

I prefer to read "Twenty Years A growin" (Fiche Bliain ag fás) " and "The islander" (An t-Oileánach" ) for a truer island voice.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Kilted2,

did you post a trip report yet and I missed it? I aslsways so enjoy reading our reports

Ellen

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My experience on the Blasket Islands

Dingle999,

thank you so much for posting your pictures. They brought back such memories from last year for me.

Ellen

Get answers to your questions about Dingle
Recent Conversations