We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

Huntington Beach...
14 posts
Save Topic
One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

My family and I (including my wife and 2 small kids) are trying to decide if we should stay in Conor Pass or Camp for one out of our two week stay in Ireland. We will be exploring Dublin and Galway prior to arriving into the Dingle Peninsula. Any advice?

Thank you!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
771 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

I think some more research is advisable!

Conor Pass:

"The Conor Pass is the highest mountain pass in Ireland. It is situated on the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry, on the road that crosses the peninsula between Dingle Town and the coast the other side. The Mountains the Pass crosses are the Brandon Mountains and contain Ireland's second highest peak Brandon Mountain at 3127 ft. From Dingle Town the road runs some 4½ miles rising to 1500 ft as it winds its way to the pass. There are wonderful views of the coast. At the Pass there is a carpark where you are confronted with this magnificent sight. The road then carries on down towards Brandon Bay past cliffs, a waterfall and lakes"

As you can see, Conor Pass is not a place it is a road. It is unlikely you will be allowed to camp out in the car park. As far as Camp goes, I'll let the Ireland experts comment on that but I really don't think there is much there!

Huntington Beach...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

My apologies for not being clear. The house is in Dingle on Conor Pass Road. Thank you.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

are you looking at B and Bs or a holiday rental? I would stay in Dingle town,

any rental on the Connor Pass road is going to be out of town on a steep road, not easily walkable into town with little ones which means that although technically in Dingle, you will all have to pile into the car to get anywhere at all, There is nothing to do in Camp on a wet day, (and not a lot on a dry one!) in Dingle there is the Aquarium, the Marina, boat trips etc.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

Why these locations? You state in your other post that you are going to use the base to explore other areas. The Dingle Peninsular is not a Touring Base?

Your one year old will not be a problem anywhere, but your 5 year old might want a place with a secure garden and away from traffic to let off steam?

A couple of sites we use for holiday rentals are www.shamrockcottages.co.uk/…

www.imagineireland.com/…

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,653 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

If you want to stay on the Dingle Peninsula and you have young children then how about Castlegregory? It has a fabulous safe beach and is ideal for young children.

From Castlegregory you could go in one direction to Dingle and in the other to Tralee and in another to Killarney.

dingle-peninsula.ie/castlegregory/index.html

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,686 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

Castlegtegory is an ideal spot for a family holiday. If you want to be closer to Dingle town but close to nice beach consider Ballyferriter or Ventry

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,421 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

I'd choose Ventry over Ballyferriter, at there is a life guard on the beach, it is blue flag and has public loos and a carpark.It's also a handier run into Dingle town.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,686 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

Good points there from Harvey Ireland. I just have a soft spot for Beal Ban beach near Ballyferriter

Lancaster
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

The trouble with Tripadvisor is that they don't allow your average self catering place to have listings - not many people realise that. We have just come back from an ace holiday home in the Maharees but I can't review it. Mind you I tried to review a pub in the Lake District last month and Tripadvisor just deleted it (it was a very positive review - maybe we are just supposed to slag places off?)

Why don't Tripadvisor let self catering places list? This post will self destruct in a day or two :-)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,653 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Week in Conor Pass or Camp?

Fatkat, why don't you ask on the support forum but do a nice review here on the Ireland Forum tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvis…

Get answers to your questions about Dingle
Recent Conversations