We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dingle or Aran Islands ?

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Dingle or Aran Islands ?

Ireland only 9/7-20. 9/17 sleep Dingle, 9/18 Aran? Or 2 nights Dingle.? Is day trip to Island enough? 9/19 is our last night before Shannon airport flight. Thought of Bunratty evening.

Ideas?

Betz

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

You are in Dingle the night of the 17th? You then want to stay on Aran (presume Inis Mor) on the 18th? How do you plan on getting from Dingle to Rosaveal west of Galway in time to get the ferry to Inis Mor?? Then back to Shannon for the following night.

I personally think Dingle punches well above it's weight but it is just not practical to do a 3+ hour drive to get the ferry for an overnight. You could move up to Clare for the last 2 nights (Ennis perhaps) and just hop the ferry to Inis Oirr and the cliffs cruise as a day trip on the middle day.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

@betty

Any chance of you putting your question in English? I don't understand what you are asking.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 23:44
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

Thinking and looking back I am now confused as to the Itinerary you are working on,, have plans changed?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

Let me try to clarify. Arrive 9/7 Shannon, rent car. Drive Northern Ireland, Dublin, Kenmare..,

Final days:

9/17 sleep Dingle

9/18 sleep Dingle or sleep Inis Mor

Will we be missing too much if not staying over night?

9/19 possibly evening event in Bunratty, sleep ???

9/20 9:30 a.m fly sfo.

I’ve looked at the ferry, but have not figured out where to embark.

Help, please, I need more days.

Betz

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

Sorry about my confusion. I already schedule doing this on day two after arriving.

Betz

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

I dont have access to my notes from earlier in the year covering your full itinerary. I would not be running all the way from Dingle to Rossaveal for Inis Mor nor would I be having a penultimate night on an island subject to the weather in respect of getting on and off. It does not happen often but there were people stranded over there for 2 days last year.

If you are not seeing any of County Clare on the starting leg I would put this at the end as I said in my first reply above.

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

2 nigjhts Dingle! Wonderful place to base and explore the Dingle Peninsula, especialy if you enjoy Iris trad music and the pub culture. Aran Islands are lovely, too,but save for your next trip!

8. Re: Dingle or Aran Islands ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 10:16