We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emlagh Country House - Dingle

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,840 posts
375 reviews
Save Topic
Emlagh Country House - Dingle

I read on yesterdays Irish Examiner the the lovely (and always well reviewed) Emlagh Country House in Dingle is on the market for sale.

irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0330/busines…

Hopefully it will be acquired by someone who can continue to notch up consistently great reviews as the Kavanagh family did.

There is a danger it could be snapped up as a family home but this is unlikely with it's 10 bedroom configuration, unless of course the family name is Von Trapp

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emlagh Country House - Dingle

Saw that, Bryano. Not too many Von Trapps these days.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Emlagh Country House - Dingle

Don't think there are any of the "original" "Sound of Music" Von Trapp family left, but they settled in the picturesque town of Stowe in Vermont. The 3rd generation of the family are actively involved in the community and area.

Which leads me to wonder - how on earth can American drivers find driving in Ireland difficult and/or daunting if some of them can make their way to here. http://www.trappfamily.com/ A drive not for the fainthearted, but boy is it worth the white knuckles for the wonderful vista and the strudel at their bakery.

They had a habit of locating in picturesque places - Zell am See is one of the prettiesst places ever and they lived there too.

So, based on that - a relocation to Dingle may just not be as far fetched as it may first appear.

Hmm, home alone this afternoon - nothing on the tele, might just hunt out the Sound of Music DVD.

Boston...
Level Contributor
216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emlagh Country House - Dingle

Been to the Von Trapp Lodge and VT driving in winter storms is right up there with the drop-off at Keem. That said they are now a small family; maybe a better bet for Emlagh would be some of the Kennedy clan... Or John and Kate plus 8.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emlagh Country House - Dingle

About the Vin Trapps. I saw a programme recently about the show opening in Vienna for the first time.

In Vermont, one remaining original family member survives. That's Maria Agata. In the movie she was Louisa. She must be 100. As far as I can remember she never married and never had any children. She was "troubled" shall I say.

There are younger living family members, but these were born in the US, and not part of the original story.

Now back to buying that house!!!!

5. Re: Emlagh Country House - Dingle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:17