We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Dingle and Connemara too much the same?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Are Dingle and Connemara too much the same?

We have two nights from Dublin, and were planning on going to the Connemara area our first day, and staying in Galway for the night. The next day we were going to make our way down to Dingle for the night.

My husband wants to see the Cliffs of Moher, but from what I have read, these two areas have so much more to offer. We could also forego the Dingle Penninsula and go to Adare, and Killarney. What do you think? I have read so much my head is spinning, and I just had the thought pop into my head that maybe they are too much alike, and we should venture a different way. Leaving in less than two weeks. Yikes!

Many thanks to you!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Dingle and Connemara too much the same?

Connemara and the the Dingle Peninsula are both beautiful, but in very different ways. Connemara covers a larger are, and much of it is very rugged and wildly barren. The Dingle Peninsula while also spectacularly beautiful is more compact and greener. You won't be disappointed with either, but I would favour Dingle for lots of reasons

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,931 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Dingle and Connemara too much the same?

http://goo.gl/maps/iSQcB

You will not see much of the above having driven from Dublin and having to be back into Galway

Then follow that with a typical dash to Dingle then presumably back to Dublin.

Chose one or the other Dingle is a small peninsula Connemara has many small peninsula's but with limited time consider Adare as a 2 night base and see Dingle and the cliffs from that base.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 18:02
Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Dingle and Connemara too much the same?

Just back from Ireland one week ago and I saw both of the above. I agree with Soonas above....they are both beautiful and very different.

It sounds like you plan on trying to cover a lot of territory is a very short period of time. Driving distances in Ireland are not like the USA....it will take 2 or 3 X as long to get from point A to B.

My daughter and I did the Dingle Peninsula in one day from Killarney. When we moved on to Galway, it took all day to tour much of the Connemara (out to Kylemore Abbey), and another day to drive out and see the Cliffs of Moher.

Southampton
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Dingle and Connemara too much the same?

Dingle is stunning. I would try and pay a visit if you can, you won't be disappointed!

5. Re: Are Dingle and Connemara too much the same?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Dingle