We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my plan realistic?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is my plan realistic?

Hi-

I will be in Ireland for work the first week of March. We finish in Cork on Friday afternoon and I fly home from Cork the Monday after. I have always wanted to visit the Dingle peninsula and don't know when I will be back in Ireland in the near future. So, I have come up with a plan but I would love some feedback on whether I am being crazy trying to fit too much in. I thought to take the train to Killarney Friday evening and spend the night there. Saturday morning I would rent a car, drive to Dingle and around Slea Head peninsula, and spend the night in Dingle. Sunday morning, drive to Kinsale and then catch the plane Monday around 11:00 a.m. out of Cork airport. I know mileage does not always represent time spent on the road and wouldn't like to spend the majority of my time in the car although I do want to visit Dingle!! Thanks for any thoughts!

Mentioned in this post
Dingle Slea Head Tours
Dingle Slea Head Tours
314 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my plan realistic?

I must be missing something if you're concerned. The trip from Killarney up to Tralee and over to Dingle is an easy drive and as I recall doesn't take much time. If you get an early start you should be able to do the Slea Head without a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Dingle Slea Head Tours
Dingle Slea Head Tours
314 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my plan realistic?

sounds perfectly ok to me

, I wonder if you would do better to get to Cork airport on Friday afternoon and rent the car from there? Airport depots have longer opening hours, the drive to Killarney would take a couple of hours, stay there Fridany night, its only an hour by road Saturday morning down to Dingle, you could have Saturday and most of Sundayin Dingle, drive round Slea Head and see the town, back to Kinsale Sunday afternoon for your Monday flight out.

Mentioned in this post
Dingle Slea Head Tours
Dingle Slea Head Tours
314 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my plan realistic?

From Killarney to Dingle I wouln not go to Tralee at all. R563 to Milltown , R561 from Castlemaine to Dingle is the shorter and more scenic route, going past Inch beach.

Mentioned in this post
Inch Beach
Inch Beach
638 Reviews
Inch, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Depending on time you finish work on Friday afternoon, you might even be able to drive up to Dingle for Friday night. . . . . it took me 2.5hrs from Cork airport, driving to Killarney, then via Milltown and Castlemaine, as fuchsia2014 has suggested. I certainly wouldn't drive via Tralee, either.

If you won't finish work until end of the day, then I agree, it's a good idea to drive as far as Killarney, then set out early on Saturday. I second the recommendation of stopping at Inch beach : fabulous views!

I believe Hertz have a city centre office, but otherwise, Cork airport will give you more choices.

Have a great time : Dingle is still one of my favourite places in the World!

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Inch Beach
Inch Beach
638 Reviews
Inch, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Thanks for the reassurance, it sounds absolutely doable. Unfortunately I won't finish work until about 4:00 p.m. Friday so I think I will catch a train to Killarney and rent the car there in the morning. Looking forward to some beautiful views, and good music!

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is my plan realistic?

http://www.irishrail.ie/ for train times. To be honest, trying to get to the train station in Cork on a Friday evening could be very busy. This is the only place I can think of in Killarney town to hire a car, but I am open to correction.

http://www.budget.ie/killarney.htm

I think you would do best to get the car at Cork airport and take your time driving to Killarney, you could stop at the Mills in Ballyvourney to get some food and break the journey.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Had not thought of the train being busy, thanks for that insight HarveyIreland. I'll check out the Cork airport rental too. I am a little leery of my first attempt at driving on the left hand side of the road nearing dark and not knowing the way exactly, but maybe i am worried over nothing. The Mills looks like a wonderful stopover, a strong vote in favor of renting the car :-)

And yes I found the same to be true, Budget was the only car rental place I found in Killarney proper.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Sunset is about 6pm in early March, on a fine day it will be light(ish) for another hour maybe, if the day is bad you may hardly notice sunset it will be increasingly gloomy till you realise you can't see, around 6pm :-) I would be doubtful about leaving work at 4, getting to the airport and hiring a car and setting off to Killarney in limited light and having no experience of driving on the left.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Yes, it could make for a hectic evening. I'm rethinking it, maybe do the route in reverse, driving to Kinsale Friday night, then to Dingle. Thanks, I really appreciate your ideas here.

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is my plan realistic?

It would take you only 1 hour 20 mins to drive from Cork Airport to Killarney. Renting the car from Cork Airport would give you a lot more options in terms of rental company. You have Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar and Dan Dooley all located at the airport. At the moment, you can book cheap car rental with fully inclusive pricing on www.carhire.ie which might be worth looking at if.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland