We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friendly Dingle Way?

St Albans
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Friendly Dingle Way?

Hi

I have been planning a walking visit to the Dingle Way for a while and then, perhaps unwisely, I bought the 'Rucksack Readers' guide by Sandra Bardwell. Reading this I can't help coming across the several comments on private land and the apparent tension between land owners/farmers and walkers. This seems at odds with the prevailing impression of a warm Gaeltacht welcome that comes across from the official publicity. I am not criticising anyone, really, but I'd be interested to know what experienced vistors/walkers think from first-hand experienced.

Thanks

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

I'm a seasoned hiker for many years in Ireland, including on the Dingle pen, and I have yet to come across irate landowners expelling me from their lands. However, tensions do exist as you mention, so maybe I have been lucky in that I did not 'bump into' said landowners.

Large groups of hikers in particular exacerbate the situation, but as you will not be travelling that way you should have no issues. The only advice I can give is to obey any signage (within reason) but otherwise enjoy your trip. You will find a very genuine irish welcome on the Dingle Pen.

If you give us an idea of your proposed route we can help further.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

I've generally found farmers to be welcoming, even having some go so far as to provide pointers on the walk.

What can annoy farmers is if you don't respect their farms.

Keep some general principles in mind and you should stay on their right side (if you walk regularly, you probably know these anyway)

- If a gate was closed when you got to it, make sure you close it behind you

- If land has crops in it (not hugely likely in Dingle anyway), walk around the edge and don't trample through them

- If you have a dog, keep it on a leash when travelling through areas with sheep or cattle. Some farmers would prefer no dogs at all around sheep

- Avoid naked flames (the gorse on Irish hillside can become prone to fires after even a couple of dry weeks)

- Always cross walls and fences at gates or stiles. Don't clamber over them risking damaging them.

To the extent that farmers get annoyed by walkers, it's usually because of the impact on their land and property rather than their presence.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 14:13
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,941 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

If you are on the Dingle Way you will not have a problem.

If you are a country person you will not have a problem.

Problems are caused (and there arent many of them) by people without a map wandering aimlessly through farms and not knowing where they are, and by people who leave gates open (letting livestock out) or shutting gates (cutting livestock off from their water supply) or letting dogs run loose among sheep.

PS get a proper map - number 70 OS, the small one given out by the Tourist Office shows the Dingle Way running across my garden, it doesnt, its about two miles away, but I wont shout at you!! Promise!!

Edited: 28 March 2014, 14:34
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

Agreed.

There are some very ignorant hikers out there tramping around the countryside at present, the ones with the "I'm from the city - you peasant" attitude. The same ones who think a plastic drink bottle thrown on the ground will magically turn into an orchid ;-((

Leave no trace.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,941 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

You said it Bryno.

I was in Glanteenassig Forest last summer, someone had had a camp fire, they had left enough rubbish to fill a normal bin bag, including drink cans, plastic bottles and a dirty nappy!! Totally disgusting. Presumably they picknicked there because it was a lovely spot by the lake, it wasnt when they left.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

I don't understand that mentality at all, and unfortunately it is not being tackled sufficiently by the appropriate agencies.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

You would not believe the amount of rubbish you find up forestry tracks around here with very few visitors, the fold it up and take it home concept from years ago seems to have been replaced with finish and drop.. Little respect is shown to fence lines if there is a puddle just climb into the field to pass it so what if you pull a fence post down? And then the fact that many rural spots have become inhabited not us culchies but by I bought it I own it urbanites with a taste for putting up Private Keep out signs and fencing across public rights of way..

St Albans
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

I am most grateful for the above responses. I am an experienced walker, I do not have a dog, and I certainly observe the codes relating to trespass, gates, livestock and fires etc. I completely agree with the objections to those who ignore these simple courtesies and In would not be surprised at landowners getting angry at such behaviour. I am encouraged to read the repiles that are pecific to the Dingle peninsula. my aim is to do part of it, from Feohanagh to Dingle over a few days, perversely perhaps, anti clockwise, so that I can stay in Dingle for two nights at the end. I shall certainly 'leave no trace!'.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,353 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

The stretch from Feothanach to Dingle isn't the most scenic on the route. I'd prefer to go from Dúnchaoin to Ventry/Dingle.to be honest.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friendly Dingle Way?

The leg of the Kerry Camino from Dingle to Lispole is a scenic stroll, albeit in the other direction! http://kerrycamino.com/

Get answers to your questions about Dingle