We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Dingle transportation

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Modesto, California
11 posts
Save Topic
Dublin to Dingle transportation

We will be traveling from Dublin to Dingle September 7, and then back to Dublin September 9. What is the best way to get there? I prefer not to drive myself.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

If you're not driving, the most practical way is to take a train from Dublin to Tralee and then a bus to Dingle.

Consider how you're going to get around Dingle without a car though. You will either need to hire bicycles (and the terrain is challenging in parts) or take some form of guided tour.

Modesto, California
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

Thank you for your quick response!

I will look into booking train/ bus.

From what I've seen on the internet, I was under the impression that many sightseeing spots around Dingle are within walking distance. Not so?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

Slea Head is about 6 miles west of Dingle, so unless you are a seasoned hiker it is not walking distance. There are tours available from Dingle town

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

depends a lot on what places you want to see, there are boat trips from Dingle to the Blaskets, you can walk out to see Fungi the dolphin, there are nice walks around the harbour and town, what had you in mind?

Modesto, California
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

I thought Kilmalkedar would be nice, and definitely a boat trip. Would I need to book the tours in advance? I'd like to go there and get a feel for what's available first, if you think I could wait to book.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

You are only going to have one day in Dingle, September 8th, you cant walk to Kilmakedar, you will be able to book something on the day, I would suggest going down to the Marina on the evening of 7th when you arrive and see what they have for the next day.

Dingle, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

Sharon22Hansen - No need to book a boat trip ,,,,

Modesto, California
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

Thank you!

Modesto, California
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

I'm looking at the train schedule from Dublin to Tralee, and it has me pick a train station. I'll be near Talbot St in Dublin, so which train station is that close to? I can't seem to get the map close up enough to tell.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin to Dingle transportation

Trains to Tralee leave from Heuston Station.