We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

belmullet & surrounding areas good for holiday with kids?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
belmullet & surrounding areas good for holiday with kids?

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on whether belmullet would have much for young kids to do and whether it's a good place for a summer break. We would have a car and be able to travel to surrounding areas. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: belmullet & surrounding areas good for holiday with kids?

Belmullet is off the beaten track so doesn't have some of the touristy things, The area has lovely beaches, there's a public leisure centre (controversially funded by Shell) and if you enquire locally , you will find sea-trips and surfing.

discoverireland.ie/places-to-go/…745

I would say that it is quite isolated and that if it rains all the time, you are a distance from bigger towns.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: belmullet & surrounding areas good for holiday with kids?

My mum is from there and unless you know where you are going, you can miss a lot of the wonderful coastline.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: belmullet & surrounding areas good for holiday with kids?

Belmullet is beautiful but quiet isolated. There is as stated a leisure centre, playground in the town and the gateway leisure centre with bowling, kids play area and restaurant. There are beautiful beaches and scenery but if it rains it could be a boring holiday.

Have you considered Westport, it's a beautiful town, in which is located Westport house and gardens and pirate adventure park. You'll also be near to lots of beaches, the beautiful greenway cycling route, castlebar town, a day trip to galway and or Clare would be possible along with many more things to do.

I live nearer to Belmullet than Westport so I'm not biased:-)

Mentioned in this post
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
Glasgow
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: belmullet & surrounding areas good for holiday with kids?

Thank you to everyone for your kind replies. Your help is much appreciated.

Reply to: belmullet & surrounding areas good for holiday with kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belmullet
More Belmullet Topics