We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malahide before early flight - transport options?

Which Malahide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malahide before early flight - transport options?

I've read the forums but I am still confused... the 102 bus goes from airport to Sutton Station - is that in Malahide?

We will be in Malahide for two nights after two weeks touring. Originally planned to drop the car at the airport and stay in central city Dublin for two nights. Have changed our plans and will stay at the Grand in Malahide. We will be fine with walking around and taking the Dart into Dublin, so ditching the car may still be best - especially since we then won't have to deal with it before the early flight. And the car costs about $41/day with insurances.

Could the 102 bus get us to the airport by 8, 8:30? Flight is 11:30. What would a taxi cost? I saw a post that said 15euro but that post was from 2005, so.. I would appreciate any updated info or recommendations.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

Ha. Found the Bewleys airport another reference for 15 euro and one report for 23 euro. Given we will have luggage and nerves, a taxi seems prudent.

15euros to 20 or 25 then??

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

You can get the 102 around the corner from the Grand Hotel buses start from about 6.30 am the hotel staff will have exact times or a taxi would cost between €15-€20. A lot of people from Malahide work in the airport so getting the bus is no trouble the Dart from Malahide runs about every 30 minutes and is ideal for getting into Dublin.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,441 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

a taxi from malahide costs from 15 euro to 17 euro, depending on what luggage you have .

102 bus will bring you to airport, but by a roundabout route through housing estates.

bus trip 40-45 mins

taxi 15-20 mins

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,198 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

Hi celticcook

I'd take a taxi to be honest with bags etc, it shouldn't be more than €20. The hotel will book it for you or you could arrange with one of the companies who offer discounts at the moment.

http://www.8202020.ie/

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

Taxi it is then. We will have just the two (overstuffed by then) carryons. No wheels, so literally carrying them, and that could be tiring on public transportation.

You all have been wonderful in helping with my plans. Thanks!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

Not sure where or why the Malahide stopover was ever endorsed.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

It is good that you are giving yourself three hours to fly out of Dublin. I have been to the castle and had breakfast in Malahide. Seems like a pleasant enough place.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

Not sure what you mean lordkimmage... Do you mean Malahide in general for travelers or for me?

True, I did not seek counsel here on trading out Dublin city for Malahide. The change feels right to me. I was worrying over ending the trip in the city - felt potentially jarring. I like cities and I do want to visit Dublin again, just don't want to sleep there this trip. Or wake up there for a morning flight.

Still curious what you meant.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,441 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

good choice to spend your last night in tranquillity of malahide. if you arte an early riser, try a short walk along the side of the estuary. heaven (if its not raining!)

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malahide before early flight - transport options?

You will enjoy Malahide. It is a lovely coastal village, with a nice relaxing atmosphere. Plenty of restaurants, with a wide variety of cuisines, coffee shops and a few pubs. Access to Dublin city centre, is very easy - #32A or #42 bus, or DART train. Fare €2.80 one way, bus takes about 50 minutes, the train, 25 minutes. The Grand Hotel is a 10 minute walk from the train station and #42 bus stop(opposite the church). The #32 bus stop is accross the road from the hotel, at the tennis courts.

If you are interested and have the energy at the end of your holiday, there is a beautiful coastal walk(2 miles approx.) to Portmarnock, where there is a magnificent beach(2 miles long), with lovely views of Howth across the bay.

Depending on your plans for the hire car, before you return it, you could do a short trip to Howth, which is a small fishing port about 25 minutes drive from Malahide. The nicest way to get to it, would be along the coast road via Portmarnock - just follow the signs. When you get to Baldoyle, about 5 minutes from Portmarnock, turn left immediately after the church, which will be on your left. then after crossing the railway line, about 500 metres further on, you will come to a cross roads junction/intersection (Sutton Cross). I would suggest that you go straight across this junction and then follow the road (R105) around Howth Head. As you go up the hill, there will be lovely views of Dublin bay and city on your right. Further up, you will come to a car park on the right, where if you wished, you can get out and take some walks around the cliffs. Continuing on, you will then descend into Howth village and harbour, which is nice to get out for a stroll around. As you come down into Howth village, you will pass the Abbey Tavern pub on your left, and come to a T junction. turning left will bring you back to Sutton Cross, where you will turn right to go back to Portmarnock/Malahide. But, I would recommend that first, you turn right at this junction and take a drive up Balscadden Rd.(the King Sitric restaurant, will be on your right, at the start of Balscadden Rd). You eventually come to a dead end - but you will have great views to your left of the coastline up to Portmarnock and beyond, particularly if the weather is good. Then just backtrack down to Howth village. This link might give you an idea of the route - http://g.co/maps/3r5uz

As mentioned by others above, a taxi to the airport on the morning of your departure is your best option - a 20 minute journey, that will cost you €20.

Get answers to your questions about Malahide