We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

message to the town of Macroom

Which Macroom hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
message to the town of Macroom

hello ,all.

We travelled from Cork to Dingle and back again last week, half way along we often look for somewhere to stop for an hour, get some food, use the loos etc. We have never stopped in Macroom although it looks a nice little town.

The reason? The big signs that say 'disc parking in operation', if you only have a short time you do not want to be working out how and where to buy a disc, how much do they cost? where coud you get one? how long do they last?

I dont know, so I have never stopped in Macroom, perhaps others are put off too? It may be worth thinking about.

23 replies to this topic
Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: message to the town of Macroom

FYI Bryno The parking in the North Square isn't free! To be honest the signage there isn't great, but all the same I wouldn't like you to come back to a ticket on your car.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: message to the town of Macroom

I agree that it is really off putting when you arrive in a town to see those signs everywhere. It is very unwelcoming. I would just move on like you.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: message to the town of Macroom

If you turn immediately right after the bus station (from cork side) and right again, you will see Dunnes Stores. There is free parking to the front and back of this building, plenty of spaces (especially at the back) and within easy walking distance of all the town's amenities :)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: message to the town of Macroom

To all the people saying 'there is parking here and parking there' yes, that's fine if you are familiar with the town! To people who just come into a town though, you are concentrating on unfamiliar roads and traffic, making a wild guess at which turn off will bring you to a parking spot is not likely to happen. very often you are not even sure that you are actually in the town or in the suburbs.

There is often a need for parking charges just so that people do not do all day parking while they are at work in places where visitors/shoppers might park. However a bit of co-operation could organise some method by which people could park without having to hunt out discs - or even sometimes the ticket machines.

A few years ago we were on holiday in north Wales and found the exact same thing, one small town after another, each with its own parking system and it seemed too expensive and too much trouble to figure it all out so we just continued till we found a town that had clearly marked parking facilities.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: message to the town of Macroom

There is one public free carpark and that is the one in front of dunnes. Its so small that if it were advertised there would be no spaces. The carpark at the back belongs to dunnes and so will not be advertised but there is plenty of spaces. People in macroom are frustrated by the situation too and have been trying to get something sorted for years. You can now park in town for an hour free of charge, this is a new thing. Not sure how it works but any local shop can tell you. Still better off parking around dunnes. Dunnes isn't a bad place to stop anyway, its a large supermarket that sells both grocery and drapery, and has its own cafe and public toilets.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 10:58
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: message to the town of Macroom

I travel through Macroom quite a lot. I am still confused as to how to get to the Dunnes Stores carpark.

What Macroom should do is allow parking on the main square for say 2 hours. That wany any passing visitors who would like something to eat and maybe a browse around the town would have enough time to do so for free. One hour free parking isn't really enough.

I haven't ever seen a traffic warden or garda checking whether the cars had discs up or not. Do they exist? (the wardens and gardai?)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,593 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: message to the town of Macroom

Bryno, to get to the Dunnes in Macroom you take a right when coming from Cork, left when going towards Cork.

Its somewhere in the middle of the town, at a T junction with Dunnes being on the bottom of the T.

In our experience its a great junction for people with low blood pressure as its a case of "its here, no its there, wrong one - its the NEXT one" and your blood pressure gets up to normal or even higher :o))

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: message to the town of Macroom

Park Magic or "disc parking" is Chinese to me... fuschiagirl brings up a valid point.

As a tourist, I too will be driving on if easy parking cannot be found in the towns that we pass through. I'll gladly pay a few euros to a machine or an attendant if need be (as I usually do when traveling), but I certainly won't waste any time trying to figure out what a "disc" is or where/how to secure a "Magic" pass...

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: message to the town of Macroom

You've got it in one, free-t-w!

I havr no problem with signs pointing to a car park, with a machine that takes cash, and dont mind paying a euro for an hour's break. But the only disc parking I am familiar with in England is one where residents buy a disc from the council so that they can park outside their home.

And Doneraile sums it up, when driving through, I am either driving or map reading, we are looking for a stop

'Disc parking in Operation' to me could read, ' move on - we dont want you :.

Dublin
Level Contributor
913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: message to the town of Macroom

OP, suggest you feed back to local authority or local business association, as I doubt they will get wind of this posting.

Reply to: message to the town of Macroom
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Macroom